Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

classic car

Anything related to cars
richiek
Trc Off

classic car

Postby richiek » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:01 pm

this might be a silly question and i should prob know the answer but with classic cars are ncts required?

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Re: classic car

Postby moomoo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:36 pm

if its registered on or before 31st dec 1979 it doesnt. 30 years rolling exemption is gone so 1980s cars will always need nct.

In limerick the gardai stop exempt cars if they are being used as every day cars. Vintage/Classic are only for leisure.

richiek
Trc Off

Postby richiek » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:15 pm

just wondering about cams.alright thanks for your help

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:39 pm

While where on the subject of classic cars. Am I right in saying not every 30yr old car is automatically classed as a classic/vintage as in it mightnt qualify for a cheaper vrt & road tax rate. Is it something got to do with up and coming modern classics i.e. in a fews yr time twincams might not enter the category

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:43 pm

and someone was telling that for insurance you had to be part of an recognised "owners club" and limited to a few thousand miles a year as well :?

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:22 am

Evelyn wrote:While where on the subject of classic cars. Am I right in saying not every 30yr old car is automatically classed as a classic/vintage as in it mightnt qualify for a cheaper vrt & road tax rate. Is it something got to do with up and coming modern classics i.e. in a fews yr time twincams might not enter the category

Everything registered before 31st dec 1979 is classed as vintage regardless of make and model and tax is a set rate regardless of engine size. once there 30 they will get the cheaper tax and vrt but all cars registered in 1980 onwards will need ncts, so in 5 years time a 1980 will still need ncts where the pre80s will never need it.

Twin cams will get the cheap tax when their old enough and the 30 years go from the year the car was first registered

nivek
Trc Off

Postby nivek » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:25 am

there bring in a roadworthyness test for vintage cars next year.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it
because the only people who really know where it is
are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Noel wrote:and someone was telling that for insurance you had to be part of an recognised "owners club" and limited to a few thousand miles a year as well :?

Ya as far as I know you have to be a member of the irish vintage club

moomoo wrote:
Evelyn wrote:While where on the subject of classic cars. Am I right in saying not every 30yr old car is automatically classed as a classic/vintage as in it mightnt qualify for a cheaper vrt & road tax rate. Is it something got to do with up and coming modern classics i.e. in a fews yr time twincams might not enter the category

Everything registered before 31st dec 1979 is classed as vintage regardless of make and model and tax is a set rate regardless of engine size. once there 30 they will get the cheaper tax and vrt but all cars registered in 1980 onwards will need ncts, so in 5 years time a 1980 will still need ncts where the pre80s will never need it.

Twin cams will get the cheap tax when their old enough and the 30 years go from the year the car was first registered

Ya I was wondering this came in up conversation before about american muscle car how come we dont see that many. But someone had said just because there 30yrs old doesn't mean they will be classed as vintage.

Return to “Car chat”