Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

UK Petrol

Anything related to cars
Rob
Altezza Guru

UK Petrol

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks to our lovely striking civil servants in the passport office :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: , what should have been a short 1 hr flight to get to a wedding this weekend will now be a lovely 7 hour drive through Wales and England, then back again two days later.
So I was wondering since I'm passing through, what's the best petrol to get and where to get it?

Dan
Site Admin

Re: UK Petrol

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:30 pm

shell v power or BP Ultima is unleaded 99, your car will love you for it

Richie_c
Altezza Guru

Postby Richie_c » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Can you not fly to the UK with just photo ID, like a licence??

As Dan said Shell V Power
300 rwhp thanks to

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:44 am

Richie_c wrote:Can you not fly to the UK with just photo ID, like a licence??

No, the only acceptable forms of ID now are National Government ID (which we don't have here) or valid Passport. We called and checked with them. I wouldn't have expected much more from Ryanair to be honest. "Zero customer service overhead" at work. The only reason we booked with them is that they are the only airline flying anywere nearby on a regular basis. You don't actually need a passport, and indeed the ferries don't mind either.

As Dan said Shell V Power

I'll check it out, I might as well get some enjoyment out of the trip! :)

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 am

yep your tezza will love the high octain stuff, but you may get depressed when you've gotta put your old fuel back in.
would be intresting if you done a power run when you get back to Ireland to see how much difference it makes

where abouts you going in the uk
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:41 am

Robin H wrote:yep your tezza will love the high octain stuff, but you may get depressed when you've gotta put your old fuel back in.
would be intresting if you done a power run when you get back to Ireland to see how much difference it makes

where abouts you going in the uk

Cornwall, probably the most awkward place to get to for me!

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:12 pm

not to far from me

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Robin H wrote:not to far from me

I'd say I'd stop by only I have to attend a wedding and head back the next (very early) morning!

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:09 pm

thats gonna be a right mission

where about in cornwall are you going

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Newquay. Rosslare to Fishguard would have been handier, but they haven't started the summer schedule yet and the sailings are at awkward times so I'm going via Holyhead.

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Crossing at holyhead so your right at the top. I've been up near there a fair few time with work and there really is some wicked roads in that part of wales as you drive through Snowdonia national park so at least you may have a bit of fun.

depends which way your gonna travel you can head across towards Chester and then the M6 and then down to the M5 which isn't a bad way but a lot of boring motorway driving and it can be a bit of a mare where the M6 and M5 join together sometimes you can sail right through and other times you can be there ages bepends what time you hit the area

when I'be been up there with work I normally travel along the A5 so for you it would be along the A5 to Oswestry then Shrewsbury then head to Kidderminster then follow the A449 to join the M5 just above Worcester this way you will miss out the M6 think it takes a little bit longer but bit more of an intresting drive

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Robin H wrote:Crossing at holyhead so your right at the top. I've been up near there a fair few time with work and there really is some wicked roads in that part of wales as you drive through Snowdonia national park so at least you may have a bit of fun.

depends which way your gonna travel you can head across towards Chester and then the M6 and then down to the M5 which isn't a bad way but a lot of boring motorway driving and it can be a bit of a mare where the M6 and M5 join together sometimes you can sail right through and other times you can be there ages bepends what time you hit the area

when I'be been up there with work I normally travel along the A5 so for you it would be along the A5 to Oswestry then Shrewsbury then head to Kidderminster then follow the A449 to join the M5 just above Worcester this way you will miss out the M6 think it takes a little bit longer but bit more of an intresting drive

Yeah, I know the motorway from Holyhead to Chester, been on it a few times alright. I bought the Trafficmaster live updates for the GPS, so hopefully that will help avoid any major traffic problems. Thanks for the tips!

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Well, made it there and back in one piece. I filled up with BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power, but I have to say I didn't notice a huge difference than E5 here. There's a huge difference between Unleaded 95 and E5 here so I suppose it would be similar to the 95/99 there. I did notice a huge difference in price - £62 for a fill of V-Power! I pay the same amount in Euro here for E5, so at least I don't feel quite so bad running a slightly inferior fuel. :)

Interestingly, I made 500km on a tank of E5 for the first leg, but only 430km on a tank of BP Ultimate. The latter was on A roads as opposed to mostly motorways for the first leg. I dunno what the V-Power is working out at, 'cos I was topping up wherever I found a Shell garage, so I took back as much as I can with me. :)

I must say, there are some amount of lunatics on that A30 from Exeter. The conditions on Friday evening were very poor, the motorways were waterlogged and the M5 was shut for a time because of a shunt. There was mist and fog as I was passing through Devon on the A30 and I saw some guy had skidded off shortly before I passed and was upside down in the top of a tree. Even after seeing that, there were *still* people passing me out at incredible speeds, and I wasn't exactly crawling! They seem to go faster on twisty A-class dual carriageways than they do on motorways?

I didn't brave the cross-country route and stuck with the A55-M56-M6-M5-A30 one instead. The traffic updates for the GPS were very good, even though there were a bunch of new symbols on the system I'd never seen before, 'cos we don't have TMC here yet. I still need to find out what the triangle with what looks like a minute countdown means.
The M5/M6 junction delay added about a 1/2 hour to the trip, not great, but absolutely nothing compared to our own M50 jams some mornings!
The Stebel horns probably saved me a front bumper as some tw*t near Birmingham started rolling back towards me, I kindly roused him from his sleep and he slammed on his brakes before he hit me.

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Oh, and another thing.. Caravans really are a scourge over there, aren't they? I've never seen so many caravans outside of a halting site before. The motorways in England are choked with them. It's no wonder Top Gear reserves such vitriol and bile for them. I'm so glad your averge family here wouldn't be caught dead in one!

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm

glad you made the trip ok, yeah the weather was sh!t down here in the southwest all weekend and yep the A30 can be a mad bit of road.
I think over here people are more worried about be caught for speeding on the motorways as there can be unmarked hovering about on them, so they just make there time up on the A roads where there's just normally a camera somewhere.
yep caravans are a right pain in the arse down here they are everywhere :evil: a lot of the Top Gear filming is done down here when they go off on the silly little trips and in summer time you find all the locals taking to the little back country lanes just to get away from them all, there always driving round lost looking for a holiday park and often seen trying to turn round in the road when half of them can't reverse a car without a caravan on so you can imagen what it's like when the towing something, they quite often shout out the window that the can't reverse as they can't see they all need shooting. I think thats the thing over here is to tow your caravan for hours down the motorway often just sitting in the middle lane with no idea of whats happening around them as the caravan snaking away behind them.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers

Return to “Car chat”