Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Lets try and get a massive national protest goin in dublin!!

Anything related to cars
danmc
Trc Off

Lets try and get a massive national protest goin in dublin!!

Postby danmc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm

RE. the proposal to ban exhausst and everytin that goes along side this, I think it would really piss people off in government if hundreds of cars went to the capital in a very noisy protest and outside the dail. is anyone aware if there might such a ting proposed,cos the introduction of these decibel readers is gettin on my tits :evil: :x
Ya cant piss on what ya cant catch!!!!!!!

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Re: Lets try and get a massive national protest goin in dublin!!

Postby moomoo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:19 pm

NCT is 99db from april. japenese db levels are 96db and jasma stamps exhausts must meet this :wink:

Some exhausts are just ret**ded, like at 2am you dont need to be listening to a f**kin civic going past your house in second gear. Its the main reason modified cars are frowned upon. Nobody cared about the bodykits or engine upgrades, it was the stupid exhausts that caused the hatred and hassle. And more hassle would have been avoided if f**k heads didnt go diffin beside someones house in the middle of the night, who more than likely had a stupidly loud exhaust in the first place

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:52 pm

A protest like that would only serve to justify the new tests. Besides, these new restrictions are already set in stone. The time for protesting was when the changes were first proposed. Nobody did anything then so the law was passed without question.
Same way that the Herald readership and the Joe Duffy whingers are up in arms over the 30Km/h limit for Dublin. Too little too feckin' late, the law has been passed and it's too late now.
The worst part is, it won't even take the worst of the drainpiped Civics off the road. They'll just swap out the exhaust for the test and put them back on after.
To top it all off, the bane of my life: huge fat harleys with stupidly loud exhausts aren't even covered by the NCT!
Rant, rant, grumble, etc.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Rob wrote:To top it all off, the bane of my life: huge fat harleys with stupidly loud exhausts aren't even covered by the NCT!
Rant, rant, grumble, etc.

Motorcycle dont have to do any test here!! Harley dont have exhaust baffles, mainly because they have a very bad breathing system (sorry cant explain this very well), basically if they had baffles, it would be like driving with a blocked exhaust for them. Not good for the engine...Sorry Rob they have to be like that

GreddRob
Altezza Guru

Postby GreddRob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Im quite happy with the ban on loud exhausts. Ive been into modified cars since I started to drive, (thats 13 years if you want to know).
I have never been once stooped by the gaurds for my modified car . Why??? I always had an exhaust with a bit of a rumble but never overly loud. And I wasn't a tit that lapped the town 500 time a night. Like moomoo said I cant till all these boy racer civics have a cap put on them :lol:

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Evelyn wrote:Motorcycle dont have to do any test here!! Harley dont have exhaust baffles, mainly because they have a very bad breathing system (sorry cant explain this very well), basically if they had baffles, it would be like driving with a blocked exhaust for them. Not good for the engine...Sorry Rob they have to be like that

Then they're breaking the law. The European directive 87/56/EEC sets the limit for motorbikes at 82 dB(A)!
Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8eYzMHGjrE

GreddRob
Altezza Guru

Postby GreddRob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:20 pm

Rob wrote:
Evelyn wrote:Motorcycle dont have to do any test here!! Harley dont have exhaust baffles, mainly because they have a very bad breathing system (sorry cant explain this very well), basically if they had baffles, it would be like driving with a blocked exhaust for them. Not good for the engine...Sorry Rob they have to be like that

Then they're breaking the law. The European directive 87/56/EEC sets the limit for motorbikes at 82 dB(A)!

Love that episode :lol:
Oh and you can see it effecting people already, there is a nice few exhausts up for sale. People getting worried :lol:

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:11 am

I'm with moomoo too! It's the same over here... and I love that southpark episode :lol:

mkano22
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby mkano22 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:21 am

99 db is extremely loud so i think most of these cars dat are hated because of loud exhausts will still pass!!!!!!

Damok

Postby Damok » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

The Traffic core is based in Thurles :twisted: , and Saturday night here in Thurles they are ment to have done 12 lads for loud exhuaust's they were all parked up in a car park, They had a DB meter with them and they confiscated a Twin Cam for been to loud. Now they did the DB test's in th car park so i dont know if thats going to hold up in court. :!:
Now this is what i was told in college to day, But i'l find out more during the week.
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

GreddRob
Altezza Guru

Postby GreddRob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Damok wrote:The Traffic core is based in Thurles :twisted: , and Saturday night here in Thurles they are ment to have done 12 lads for loud exhuaust's they were all parked up in a car park, They had a DB meter with them and they confiscated a Twin Cam for been to loud. Now they did the DB test's in th car park so i dont know if thats going to hold up in court. :!:
Now this is what i was told in college to day, But i'l find out more during the week.

The cars have to be tested at normal car running temp. The have to be tested 3 times and the average is taken, Plus they have to hold the DB reader 2 foot away from the exhaust, (not to sure on that could be a bit more or less) Plus the db meter had to be checked before they left the barracks. They have had DB meters in portlaosie for the last year and and half.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Rob wrote:Then they're breaking the law. The European directive 87/56/EEC sets the limit for motorbikes at 82 dB(A)!

They probably are but nothing will be every done about it!! I actually like the noise of a Harley :oops:
But theres a 20v Corolla going around town & I would love to put it out its misery :evil: , it the god most awfull sound, it remind me of halloween screemer :evil:

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Evelyn wrote:They probably are but nothing will be every done about it!! I actually like the noise of a Harley :oops:

I'd be more partial to the sound of a Ducati superbike myself, but I digress. My point is that it's not fair to clamp down on sound levels on some vehicles and not others. They all cause a nuisance. A Harley or Civic both have the same effect when they're revved outide your window at 6am..

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Evelyn wrote:They probably are but nothing will be every done about it!! I actually like the noise of a Harley :oops:

I'd be more partial to the sound of a Ducati superbike myself, but I digress. My point is that it's not fair to clamp down on sound levels on some vehicles and not others. They all cause a nuisance. A Harley or Civic both have the same effect when they're revved outide your window at 6am..

Ur right in what ur saying, there one rule for one person & not for another. But I think the main reasons "loud exhaust" are more linked to the guy doing 20 laps of the town in one night. I dont really think ur going to get the Harley driving doing 20 laps of the town & there for people complaining to the Garda about them.
My man had a 650cc chopper a few year ago with cone filters on the instead of a manifold & by god could u hear that starting :lol: espically in the cold because it would back fire.
From cross road near my mother, 3 miles away we could here it coming up the road.

d2carazy
Clare rep

Postby d2carazy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:17 pm

im all for banning loud exhaust, its what annoys people most about modified cars, i like a nice rumble from the car not a huge Grimble from them

Return to “Car chat”