Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

clifford alarm

Anything related to cars
Mac!
Trc Off

clifford alarm

Postby Mac! » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 pm

well lads n lassies..anyone know of a good place to get me clifford fitted??anyone have a clifford alarm...wat do yas tink of them??cheers....

Rob
Altezza Guru

Re: clifford alarm

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Mac! wrote:well lads n lassies..anyone know of a good place to get me clifford fitted??anyone have a clifford alarm...wat do yas tink of them??cheers....

Not much. Overpriced, gimmicky and unreliable I found. Make sure you have AA cover if you do get one, the only trouble I've ever had with a Toyota was because the Clifford disabled the car. Had to rip it out in the end. The worst was when I had another Clifford that would unlock itself during the night. Nice!
If you want a high-spec alarm, go for one with a pager/sms option. The proximity alerts are just a magnet for drunks kicking cars or kids chucking rocks at them to hear the "mad alarm."

charley-bobbet
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby charley-bobbet » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:20 pm

i got mine fitted by the lads of mds ireland in dublin they did a savage job. i got the 650mk 2 supplyed and fitted for 650 Brendan is your man's name ill try dig a number out for him

Gunner
Noob!

Postby Gunner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:37 pm

audio advice in portadown are top class. Probably one of the best in the uk.

http://audioadvice.co.uk/

edgypowder
Trc On!

Postby edgypowder » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 am

Like rob said iv gone to get in the car the odd morning only to find that its already open!! :evil:

Richie_c
Altezza Guru

Postby Richie_c » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 am

Lads the alarm is only as good as the guy that installs it

I've had two alarms fitted by liam in caralarms.ie! Never had a problem with either of em! Ones a clifford and the other was a Falcon. I havent had an issue with the clifford in 9 months!

I cant recommend Liam enough and wont go anywhere else for an alarm! He's a perfectionist! When I had the tezz and no one could make the central locking work with the Falcon alarm he did. He might keep you there longer than you expect but you can be guarenteed it WILL be perfect once its finished! He wont sell you anything either that you dont need.

I asked him about the proxy sensors etc and he straight out told me not to waste my money even though he could have just said "yeah I'll stick them in for ya for x amount"! If you're thinking of an alarm give him a shout

http://www.caralarms.ie
300 rwhp thanks to

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:50 am

Richie_c wrote:Lads the alarm is only as good as the guy that installs it

For what it's worth, the last one was done at a Clifford authorised dealer at their centre. These issues didn't crop up straight away, they were after a few years of use, which would suggest a failure as part of the alarm itself. If it was installation related you'd expect problems soon after installation.
I bought it on the strength of the reviews in the car magazines (like most people), but of course none of these tests are long term - they only take into account features, etc. I even forgave the first one, thinking it was a botched install and got the second one done by the best Clifford experts in the country. This too let me down eventually. The car was old at this stage so I got a mechanic to bypass it and left it as it was.
Think long and hard about what you get. For me, it managed to turn what should have been an ultra-reliable car into an unpredictable and unreliable annoyance. I might as well have been driving a Mazda. :)
Of the straw poll that I've done of people who got Cliffords and like them, the vast majority only had them in the car a year or two. I think it was around 4 years old when mine gave trouble.

Richie_c
Altezza Guru

Postby Richie_c » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Rob wrote:
Richie_c wrote:Lads the alarm is only as good as the guy that installs it

For what it's worth, the last one was done at a Clifford authorised dealer at their centre. These issues didn't crop up straight away, they were after a few years of use, which would suggest a failure as part of the alarm itself. If it was installation related you'd expect problems soon after installation.
I bought it on the strength of the reviews in the car magazines (like most people), but of course none of these tests are long term - they only take into account features, etc. I even forgave the first one, thinking it was a botched install and got the second one done by the best Clifford experts in the country. This too let me down eventually. The car was old at this stage so I got a mechanic to bypass it and left it as it was.
Think long and hard about what you get. For me, it managed to turn what should have been an ultra-reliable car into an unpredictable and unreliable annoyance. I might as well have been driving a Mazda. :)
Of the straw poll that I've done of people who got Cliffords and like them, the vast majority only had them in the car a year or two. I think it was around 4 years old when mine gave trouble.

But then what alarm would you suggest?
300 rwhp thanks to

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:39 pm

dead switches. turn the hidden switch and the car goes dead. Good idea to have switch at passenger side, that way you can use the zapper to lock the car and open that door with the key :wink:
Last edited by moomoo on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Richie_c wrote:But then what alarm would you suggest?

I don't know to be honest. I haven't used any other type for long enough to give a good opinion!

Podge
Trc Off

Postby Podge » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Falcon predator evo4+.It has the Lcd pager.
you can get it from jp in custom motion,he has them at a good price.
And markrs200 to fit it.
Drive Her Straight Sideways

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:08 pm

have Clifford in mine and no problems with it so far in last 2 years. Lifetime warranty on them so if anything happens with it you should be able to get it sorted under warranty once fitted by an approved installer, not many systems that are better than the black jaxx system to keep your car safe. anyone i know that had a clifford with black jaxx fitted and their car was lifted got it recovered same night unless car is put on a transporter and towed away!(thats what the anti tilt sensors are for!)

candleguy10
Trc Off

Postby candleguy10 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 pm

moomoo wrote:dead switches. turn the hidden switch and the car goes dead. Good idea to have switch at passenger side, that way you can use the zapper to lock the car and open that door with the key :wink:

Ye I know someone who has one in his mr2....seems like real good idea

urbz
Trc On!

Postby urbz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

@ Rob,I know you had problems with your clifford as other people i know, engine start wont work, car is open in morning. It is alot to do with the installer sometimes so called clifford dealers actually buy reconditioned alram boxes and refit them as new with faults still in the box. There is only a hand full of real clifford installers in this country, you may of had a bad experience, over the last five years i've had four cars three with cliffords with not one problem and one with an average alarm, the one with the average alarm got robbed the night before halloween last year! I know wat my choice is, i will amit they are a few quid but its way cheaper that being down a few grand on your car or a heavy insurance premium?????
Just my opinion

Return to “Car chat”