Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Safe Driving on Ice Tips

Anything related to cars
dmcgarry
Altezza Guru

Re: Safe Driving on Ice Tips

Postby dmcgarry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm

dont know why you're posting this on this site, it's not like an altezza goes anywhere in these conditions as most of us discovered last year :D

just kiddin, good tips!
never argue with an idiot... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience... :D

http://www.irishkenpo.com
http://www.mmaireland.com

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:48 pm

I've been looking again for winter tyres this week, but I've been told there's not much market for winter tyres for 215/40/17s and even less for 225/45/18s (the two size rims I have). Anything decent is coming in over 200 euro a piece. The snow again this week makes me half tempted to get a set of cheapo steel rims so I can get a reasonably priced set of snow tyres. You can get good 175s for less than 50. Considering I'd only be using them for a few weeks of the year I wouldn't care what they looked like, so long as it kept me on the road.

There's plenty of size guides that show you what sizes you can go UP to, but who knows what sizes you can go DOWN to safely!

P.D.87RWD
Altezza Guru

Postby P.D.87RWD » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Some good tips there but it's the other drivers on the roads we have to watch out for as there are some who think the roads are the same as it was on the best day of the year....

steveo105
Noob!

Postby steveo105 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Why are Tezza's so bad in the snow/ice?

I see people with BMW's getting around without issues and BMW's are rearwheel drive aswell. Can anybody shed any light on this

t_sport190
Trc Off

Postby t_sport190 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Altezza / IS200/300 are bad in snow i know from my last one & it had 2 new michelin tyres fitted not long before it snowed even snow switch on auto didnt do anything & that raod wasnt even that steep!!, yes you see benz bmw & i even saw a 200SX on way to work when it was snowing it down bad at same time i did see a mx5 wheel spining trying to get up a road & them cars are light, so not so much to do with weight!!
Image Image

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:05 pm

For what it's worth, I put 200kgs of sand in the boot after the first few days of snow, gone back to the 215 alloys and the car has improved drastically. Haven't got stuck since! I leave extra, extra room for braking now though!

Still contemplating getting a set of steel rims or at least 16" to put winter tyres on. A friend got a set of Dunlop winter sport M3s and he said the difference is unbelivable.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:41 pm

I have 2 spare wheels (one I still have to get repaired & the other I am using as a spare) and back box (I havent got around to fitting yet), A mini trolley jack, a double tyre pump, a tool box, 2 sets of wellies, a shovel...basically my boot is a bomb site, but it seams to be keeping the weight down in it :lol:. Ya I am with you Rob have to invest in winter tyres and wheels aswell.

steveo105
Noob!

Postby steveo105 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 am

I think thats where im going wrong...my boots is empty

alan r
Trc On!

Postby alan r » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:23 pm

if the snow button lighter on fuel why not always use it? turn it off for messin and passing out cars then??

c1arke
Trc Off

Postby c1arke » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:44 pm

in normal driving conditions you wont go very well with the snow button on lol.
And dont be flicking it on and off when you're in gear/driving, I've been told it kills the gearbox. Puts a lot of strain on the engine having it on constantly. correct me if I'm wrong guys?

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Does the Snow button cause any noticeable effects in yours? I have an aftermarket ECU in mine so it may not have any affect, there's certainly none that I can detect.

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:28 pm

moomoo wrote:(i love SUVs I love SUVs I love SUVs)

Couldn't agree more, just means ya have no excuses not to get to work though!

5 cars in work wearing battle scars already since last tuesday, roads are lethal round here and getting worse each day

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:40 pm

c1arke wrote:in normal driving conditions you wont go very well with the snow button on lol.
And dont be flicking it on and off when you're in gear/driving, I've been told it kills the gearbox. Puts a lot of strain on the engine having it on constantly. correct me if I'm wrong guys?

Really!! I have noticed my 1st and 2nd gear have been tight since the cold weather but I put it down to the cold weather :?

Rob wrote:Does the Snow button cause any noticeable effects in yours? I have an aftermarket ECU in mine so it may not have any affect, there's certainly none that I can detect.

Ya it does for me, it feel like your driving with the handbrake still on :lol: , but ya straight away you can feel it

tezza mick
Altezza Guru

Postby tezza mick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Dont know why people think there so bad in the snow, iv no bother getting around. Theres a steep hill into our place and there was a 08 mazda(fwd) at the top of the hill spinning out and i drove up one side of him.

FT2DFLR
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby FT2DFLR » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:16 am

I've an after market ECU in mine aswell and the snow button works just fine, i've no problems on the roads, getting out of the car park in my apartment bloke is another story altogether, a shovel and two friend were required just to get moving. But once on the roads its fine even drove on compacted snow over back road once you take it handy its safe enough (scary as hell, but safe enough)

Actually was looking at the news the other night and they were showing a couple of crashed cars and from looking at the amount of damage i had to wonder how quick were these mupits going in the first place. I wouldn't really go over 50 to 60 kph and slower again if there is snow\black ice.

Return to “Car chat”