Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Safe Driving on Ice Tips

Anything related to cars
d2carazy
Clare rep

Safe Driving on Ice Tips

Postby d2carazy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 pm

i havent seen this posted up here are some handy tips for drivinf on ice

1 Keep your car road-fit
Know if your car is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive or is four-wheel drive. Each will behave differently as the car’s weight and the driver’s input will have a direct influence. Motorists should ensure their car is in a fit condition for the road. Always ensure you have enough fuel to cope with an emergency.

2 Time equals distance
Descents, ascents and road camber will have an effect on your vehicle’s behaviour. All inputs by the driver must therefore be smooth and well thought out so as to avoid the tyres losing the grip they need to keep it under your control.

When following another driver make sure you can see what is dictating their progress: are they showing signs of competency, nervousness, aggression, stupidity? Keep a prudent distance from the vehicle directly in front of you. Remember in icy conditions that you may be able to stop the wheels, but your vehicle keeps going.

3 Front-wheel drive
Front-wheel-drive vehicles are better than rear-wheel-drive in icy conditions because the weight of the engine is on the front wheels, improving traction. Use the torque of the engine and not the revs. Be smooth on releasing the clutch, feeding in only enough drive – too much causes skidding.

4 Rear-wheel drive
With minimal weight over the rear wheels, rear-wheel-drive cars have great difficulty keeping stability in icy conditions. This can cause the car to slide out on corners where the rear wheels push the car straight instead of in the direction of steering. There is a case for adding weight in the boot of a rear-wheel-drive to improve traction in icy conditions.

5 ABS, EBD, EBA, ESC, TCS – know your car’s systems
The owner’s manual will provide information about your car’s electronic monitoring systems. As not all cars carry the same systems, find out which type of electronic monitoring systems your vehicle is equipped with.

Anti-lock braking systems
(ABS) are a standard fit on all new cars and give the driver significant advantages on slick roads, if used correctly. In icy conditions ABS will activate early due to the minimal grip available. To operate ABS effectively, drivers should apply steady pressure to the brake pedal during the entire stop. ABS will automatically pump the brakes, if necessary, to keep the wheels from locking.

Cadence braking or pumping the brakes is not required on an ABS equipped car as this is the electronic function of the Anti-lock Braking System. Apply only steady pressure continuously until you come to a complete stop.

If you don’t have ABS, you should gently and rapidly apply pumping pressure to your brakes during slippery conditions. Do not apply steady pressure to your brakes. Standing on your brakes will only cause wheel lock and may result in your car spinning out of control.

Traction Control System monitors the driven wheels of your car and its grip during acceleration. When it detects wheel slippage, it will cut power to the wheels and prevent them over spinning.

6 When grip is lost
In a front-wheel-drive car, if you need to slow down or stop, keep pressure on the brake pedal and steer smoothly around that which caused you to brake. When cornering or turning, the car can run wide as the tyres haven’t got the normal grip (understeering).

Where the car fails to respond normally to steering input, gently ease off the throttle and the steering, and wait for the car to respond.

Most rear-wheel-drive cars skid due to the rear of the car sliding away from the drive line chosen by the driver. It generally is because too much power has been applied to the rear wheels as the car was turning or cornering. Should the car slide on as it is being steered to the left, the rear will slide to the right, wanting to go straight in effect. The driver should then steer smoothly to the right, easing off the throttle and always being ready for a secondary skid ad the car comes back into line.

Allow 8-10 seconds between you and the vehicle in front of you.
When driving uphill on ice, pick a path that will allow the most traction. Unpacked snow will give most vehicles sufficient uphill traction.

To maintain control on corners and turns, reduce speed before the turn. Any sudden acceleration or deceleration during a turn can send you into a skid.

Avoid braking while driving on ice. If you are approaching a patch of ice, brake during your approach. Applying pressure to your brakes while on ice may activate ABS early.

7 Safety kit
In case you get stuck in the snow, carry a small piece of old carpet or a mat in the boot. This can prove useful to put under a driven wheel that’s stuck to set the car free. A small shovel also comes in handy.

Finally, the following items should be carried in the car: mobile phone and car charger; high-visibility vest; anti-glare sunglasses; warm, waterproof outer jacket/trousers, headwear and gloves and a blanket (just in case)

Evelyn

Re: Safe Driving on Ice Tips

Postby Evelyn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:19 pm

I got so mad yesterday with some yahoo on the gerry ryan show talking about this. If you where to believe what he was say, all you would need is traction control & abs to get you out of a skid :twisted: . Never mentioed tyres or any other factors.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:48 pm

there's a lot of Muppet's out there... had a clown in a big van overtake me on a treacherous section :x , to make matters worse he turned off left 100Mt's up the road :? whats be wrong with them????

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Evelyn wrote: all you would need is traction control & abs .

:oops: :oops: :oops:

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 pm

I haven't driven my car since the weekend. The 2 way diff makes it more hassle than it's worth to try and drive it and I'd defo end up giving it a slap if I took it out. I was walking home from town last night and I saw a DC2 mount the path and just miss a lamp post when trying to take a corner, he was fairly lucky, damaged the bumper and burst one of the wheels.

People think the car will do the driving for you if it has TRC and ABS :evil: :evil:

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:49 pm

doesn't matter if its FWD, RWD or 4WD when you brake too bad on icy surface the car will just slide out of control, i had a few scary moments in the Legacy yesterday however i did tow 3 cars to safety(transit, bmw and a micra)! saw a lad trying to get up a hill in a blue altezza yesterday he was sliding backward into the kerb, looking at me like he wish he had 4WD! told him to turn off trc and hit the snow button and that helped him out a bit

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:42 am

moomoo wrote:
Evelyn wrote: all you would need is traction control & abs .

:oops: :oops: :oops:

You dont need it trust me, all you need is to lightly tip your brake & give yourself plenty of time to stop. Does ur snow button work??
I found the car not that bad with it on

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:58 am

Would snow chains be of much use? I was considering them but then I heard of occasions where they broke free and damaged the car.

Had I known this was going to happen, I would have investigated getting a cheap set of winter tyres to use until conditions improved. I'd say theres sod all chance finding any here at this stage!

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Evelyn wrote:Does ur snow button work??

yeah and it works grand but the car has been parked since 18th (i love SUVs I love SUVs I love SUVs)cos the car and any rwd vans wont go past the first twisty hill :wink:
Last edited by moomoo on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm using the snow button alot , it definately helps the car from kicking out but u still need to drive with caution . The car is lighter on fuel when im using it too. which is handy for the traffic jams at the moment.
Instead of braking to much I use the gears to slow the car down as much as possible to a stop.

Noel wrote:there's a lot of Muppet's out there... had a clown in a big van overtake me on a treacherous section :x , to make matters worse he turned off left 100Mt's up the road :? whats be wrong with them????

ive seen some nut case drivers overtaking in ice or speeding ....twats , but the one that drives me MAD is tailgatters in this weather. Its one thing to have to watch the road in front of you but to have some gowl up ur ass in these conditions is stupid.

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 pm

I've seen a lot of people in white transit vans doing stupid things, a certain type of people if ya get me. There's a bit of messing and then there's just fookin dangerous. Saw a young lad going sideways at speed through my housing estate with the place full of kids, if he lost control he defo would have hit a kid or some one elses car :x :x :x

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Snow chains are illegal in Ireland as far as i know and max you can do with them is about 50.

supposed to be a cheap alternative for driving in bad snow:

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm

By the way, all the salt being put on the roads is going to be murder on your alloys. The few that still have factory alloys are going to find them corroded very quickly..

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Altezzahead wrote:I'm using the snow button alot , it definately helps the car from kicking out but u still need to drive with caution . The car is lighter on fuel when im using it too. which is handy for the traffic jams at the moment.
Instead of braking to much I use the gears to slow the car down as much as possible to a stop.

ive seen some nut case drivers overtaking in ice or speeding ....twats , but the one that drives me MAD is tailgatters in this weather. Its one thing to have to watch the road in front of you but to have some gowl up ur ass in these conditions is stupid.

I was actually going to ask that question I noticed that the car was lighter on fuel this wk using the snow button!!. I havent knocked it off all wk, our roads arent that bad Yet, but I am not taking any chances.
I wouldnt be a big braker anyway, I would intend to use my gears a good bit (like a rally driver :lol: ), but ya the f*cking tail gater :evil: :evil: :evil: . Its one of the reasons I have put journeys off because of other drivers :evil:.

@Rob, I remember when I was young my Dad had to put chains on our car because we did live high in the mountain :lol: . We had an Ascona at the time & no choice in the matter we had to get around, the snow was roughly 2ft at the time.

Not only is it bad to drive in but its kinda impossible to walk in, I am a nervious wreck because I broke my ankle 8yrs ago (not with snow) but I am afraid of hurting myself again.

d2carazy
Clare rep

Postby d2carazy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:25 pm

bump this for anybody our there now with the roads in a bad condition

Return to “Car chat”