ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

altezza tints vs new laws

Anything related to cars
patk
Altezza Guru

altezza tints vs new laws

Postby patk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:03 pm

further to discussion on crackdown on boyracers and noise levels but how will our tinted glass fare against these new laws as we cant rectify untinting ours without replacing the glass as opposed to stick on tints.
quote: Gardai will use a special machine -- a Glass Tint Meter -- to measure the amount of natural light coming into cars which must be at least 75pc for windscreens and 70pc for the rest of the car windows.By Paul Melia from the independent

Friday July 17 2009

GARDAI are to launch a major crackdown on boy racers and will prosecute owners of cars fitted with loud engines and excessively tinted windows.

Yesterday, senior officers warned owners of modified cars they have until the end of the year to comply with regulations or face fines of up to €2,500 and/or three months in prison.

Gardai will use a special machine -- a Glass Tint Meter -- to measure the amount of natural light coming into cars which must be at least 75pc for windscreens and 70pc for the rest of the car windows. They will also use a machine to measure the level of engine noise.

The warning came on the same day that the Road Safety Authority (RSA) launched its 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign, which calls on women not to get into a car with males who drive dangerously.

Road casualty statistics from the RSA show that over two-thirds (67pc) of female passengers killed in the 10-year period 1998 to 2007 were being driven by a male driver.

Boy racers are notorious for driving souped-up cars with loud exhausts and blacked-out windows and are a source of intimidation for other road users.

Owners are generally young men, who comprise most victims in fatal road collisions.

By law, the maximum engine noise allowed is 80 decibels -- which equates to the noise in a busy street -- with sounds louder than this level considered dangerous to hearing. Windscreen and passenger and driver doors cannot be blackened.

The Sound Level Meters and Glass Tint Meters will measure the amount of noise generated by engines and check if windows are excessively tinted. The crackdown is expected to begin by the end of the year.

"There's the issue of complaints and their own safety," Assistant Commissioner Eddie Rock said. "They'll (boy racers) have the opportunity to rectify their cars. It's not in our interest to take people to court, but we will if necessary."

Gardai have also sought machines for reading digital tachograph machines installed on trucks which measure the number of hours driven. This will allow them to prosecute drivers found to be breaking the law by driving excessive number of hours. Fines of up to €2,500 and/or three months' imprisonment can be imposed.

Dangerously

Yesterday, Rose of Tralee Aoife Kelly launched the RSA's 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign, which calls on women not to get into a car with males who drive dangerously.

An occupational therapist at the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire, Ms Kelly helps people overcome serious spinal and brain injuries sustained in car crashes.

"Ladies, you need to take a stand and not get into a car with a guy with a need for speed and a blatant disregard for his own and other people's right to life. It's a simple choice -- live or die," she said.

"Reckless driving is not impressive and people do not realise the consequences of such crazy behaviour until they attend a funeral of a family member, best friend, or a lost loved one. It's time we woke up to the reality of the situation. People die, not to mention the many people who are admitted to hospital daily with serious injury, some with little or no memory, who are unable to live a normal life."

RSA chief executive Noel Brett added that males were "massively over-represented" as the drivers involved in crashes, accounting for 80pc of all motorists in fatal collisions.

- Paul Melia

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Re: altezza tints vs new laws

Postby lanigan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:21 pm

@80dB there will be a LOT of factory standard vehicles coming off the road, what about VW and Ford diesel engines noisiest engines on the road! Standard scoobys are finished as well! It doesnt say what rpm or load is supposed to be on the engine at the time of the test.

Buses have to do a drive by test at certain speed and rev range and is measured from a defined distance, doesnt say what private vehicles will have to do.... Also the surrounding environment will have an impact on the reading, some will amplify the noise by bouncing it back, some will dissipate it far better, so will there be certain controlled environment test centres to do this in? I know where i work, all testing that goes on has to be done to specific requirements of relevant standards to ensure consistency and accuracy of results, so i dont see how this should be any different

Not many "boyracers" have tinted front windows anyway, the people with them are either knackers or foreigners! Oh and there is a garda in moate station who has a black c class with pretty dark tint all around, if i ever get pulled i'll be arguing that point with them

GreddRob
Altezza Guru

Postby GreddRob » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:51 pm

All the unmarked cars around here have tinted windows.

dots
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby dots » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 pm

was told its only a problem with tint and as the altezza is smoked glass this does not count and it will only be a new thing with car manufacturers to do away with smoked windows so it doesnt effect cars with smoked glass that are under 2009 they hardly expect us to change our windows now :lol: :lol:
DOTS

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm

dots wrote:was told its only a problem with tint and as the altezza is smoked glass this does not count and it will only be a new thing with car manufacturers to do away with smoked windows so it doesnt effect cars with smoked glass that are under 2009 they hardly expect us to change our windows now :lol: :lol:

X2 I was told it wouldnt be a problem with Altezzas, we cant order new glass because it will be the same

patk
Altezza Guru

Postby patk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 pm

Evelyn wrote:
dots wrote:was told its only a problem with tint and as the altezza is smoked glass this does not count and it will only be a new thing with car manufacturers to do away with smoked windows so it doesnt effect cars with smoked glass that are under 2009 they hardly expect us to change our windows now :lol: :lol:

X2 I was told it wouldnt be a problem with Altezzas, we cant order new glass because it will be the same

problem is the only cop in ireland that knows this is damien. the rest may put you through the hoops to prove this and this can end up in court.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 pm

I heard this from another cop

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:31 pm

There's a marking on the glass that identifies that it is factory tint. We have similar laws over here & I doubt your law makers would be stupid enough to pass a law that didn't cover things like factory "privacy glass/tint". We can have upto 35% tint on our windows & the cops have light meters to test it if they think its to dark. So really you shouldn't have a problem

mick kehoe
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby mick kehoe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:38 pm

I don't think there will be a problem with the windows as ya all have been say the car windows are made that way. They could not tell ya to take them out it would not make sense and would cost too much to do so!

marso
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby marso » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:22 am

80db??? i could of sworn that a standard altezza exhaust according to hks was 92db's :? :?
if you want your car featured, e mail me with pics to marso@mij.ie
site photographer for
http://www.manic-motorz.com

patk
Altezza Guru

Postby patk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:55 am

I doubt your law makers would be stupid enough to pass a law that didn't cover things like factory "privacy glass/tint".
ermmmmm................. :roll: you'd be surprised

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 am

patk wrote:I doubt your law makers would be stupid enough to pass a law that didn't cover things like factory "privacy glass/tint".
ermmmmm................. :roll: you'd be surprised

you'll have no worries with factory fitted :wink:

you can always drive the "Ferrari" to school :D

shakey
Altezza Guru

Postby shakey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:08 am

lads yer windows are fine. law states you cant tint front or the driver and passenger windows. your aloud the back three. there trying to get rid of the limo black where they cant see into the car. its a safety issue for them. even if you had the same as the back 3 all round the car expect for the front it lets in 80% light

patk
Altezza Guru

Postby patk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:05 am

shakey wrote:lads yer windows are fine. law states you cant tint front or the driver and passenger windows. your aloud the back three. there trying to get rid of the limo black where they cant see into the car. its a safety issue for them. even if you had the same as the back 3 all round the car expect for the front it lets in 80% light

the driver and passenger windows are tinted, granted less than the back 3. i know its a safety issue in case youre pointing a gun or a sandwich at them :roll:
noel im keeping the ferrari for you next time ur off the road again, just like i let u borrow it last timeImage

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:04 pm

patk wrote:noel im keeping the ferrari for you next time ur off the road again, just like i let u borrow it last time

Hopefully never again ... cost me 2k to get back motoring :( :( :(

Oh ... and i haven't forgotten your "generosity" either ... :P

Return to “Car chat”