Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Altezza checklist

Anything related to cars
altezzadrifting
Trc Off

Altezza checklist

Postby altezzadrifting » Thu May 17, 2007 11:53 am

Hi guys,
Here is the story, me and a mate of mine are arranging to go over to england to check out 2 altezzas. they are both bog standard. the first RS ia a 99 with 67k mls and the other is a 98 with 74k mls. we are planning to go in two weeks, and reckon we can have one home for 9grand not cleared.
I am just wondering what exactly i should be looking out for, wear and tear, faults etc. your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kieran

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu May 17, 2007 1:12 pm

is that 9 grand Euro then plus VRT? i think the VRT works out at between 4-5 grand. Why you buying from the UK? A lot more selection in Ireland i would have thought.

altezzadrifting
Trc Off

Postby altezzadrifting » Thu May 17, 2007 1:14 pm

well my friend usually brings home cars from england and he has his contacts out there.the stuff he brings home is usually mint. that would be 9k euro then vrt on top of that.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 pm

few things you could look out for: try get one with the leather interior,so much nicer. Audio system the bog standard audio system without sat nav is so much easier to upgrade if you wanted. check for rear tyre wear of course! Make sure the timing belt was done recently. Check the service history for any major repairs that might be a tell tail sign it was abused. check for re-spreayed panels. check the suspension it should bounce back up when you push it down, if not its a sign of a bad shock. check for white smoke when you rev the car. cant think of much else at the mo.

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Thu May 17, 2007 1:20 pm

There isn't a whole lot to look out for with the altezza. With that milage you would want to make sure that the timing belt and tensiones and idlers are done. Other than that
The front breaks give a crack noise when you use them at slow speeds just after turning the car on
Check the interior for general wer on the seats and steering wheel. Give a good idea of how much ure it has got
I've heard of the power steering pump giving trouble but its rare I think
The radio had the error 3 thing that happens on alot of them
If it had a sat nav it wont work here unless the owner has got a hold of the IS200 radio and sat nv unit(rare)
Tyre ware on the front is common due to some story of not being right from the factory but that is easily fixed
Cant think of any more

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Thu May 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Dam it I keep posting just after you Dan. Must type faster

Tezzy
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Tezzy » Thu May 17, 2007 1:26 pm

9k + 3k VRT = bargain. thats why he's goin to England 8) They are cheaper over there in general, hard to find manuals though because of SVA.

If its been in the UK for a while check for corrosion underneath. Mine was there for 3 years and there's just a couple of bolts behind the grille rusted but check it out anyway.
Grab the propshaft and see is there much play, the diff could be worn if so.
Check current MOT cert to make sure emissions are ok.
See if the radio displays ERR3 when you try to play a Cd, if it does then the changer is shagged.
Apart from that just check like any car,there's nothing in particular that goes wrong afaik.
Make sure and bring it for a spin to see if there's any rattles or knocking and bargain accordingly. :wink:

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu May 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Tezzy wrote:9k + 3k VRT = bargain. thats why he's goin to England 8) They are cheaper over there in general, hard to find manuals though because of SVA.

Do you pay less VRT when you import it from UK my VRT was 4500 from Japan

Tezzy
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Tezzy » Thu May 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Mine was €2,700 in March anyway, afaik it was jap rates because it was 'originally purchased in japan'

Dizz
Site Admin

Postby Dizz » Thu May 17, 2007 7:31 pm

I paid €4,300 to VRT mine ('99) 11 months ago :shock:

Got it myself from Japan

altezzadrifting
Trc Off

Postby altezzadrifting » Thu May 17, 2007 7:39 pm

cherrs lads.its just things to watch out for in general in an Altezza, ill give it a general check such as shocks, tire wear, painted panels, marks underneath etc. would never have thought to check the cd player. ill post some pics if and when i do purchase. ill keep ye posted 8) what is the cause of the front brakes noising after starting? :?:

Tezzy
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Tezzy » Thu May 17, 2007 10:17 pm

Dizz wrote:I paid €4,300 to VRT mine ('99) 11 months ago :shock:

Got it myself from Japan

bummer, they must have reclassified them in late 2006, i remember checking in december before i bough the car and they were quoting around €2800 then as well. Dots paid about the same as me as well there a few months back i think

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Thu May 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Not sure on the cause but its nothing bad. Something to do with the pad moving in the caliper or something. open to correction

lee_iceman
Trc Off

Postby lee_iceman » Fri May 18, 2007 12:16 am

Also check along the roof line ;)
My Garage, My YouTube
Nurburgring2 2006, lap in 11:48 | Bruntingsthorpe 2006, 1/4 mile in 15.8@88mph
213.3bhp and 247.3Nm of torque

Return to “Car chat”