Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

My Altezza is Sick

Anything related to cars
Robin H
Southern England Rep

My Altezza is Sick

Postby Robin H » Sun May 06, 2007 5:24 pm

My car has not been running very well of late ,

so I took it to the tuning company I use to get them to do a few tests and the out come wasn't good !!

long story short, I've got compression problems with my tezza which looks like it's going to be costly to get fixed. I'm thinking of taking the old engine out and dropping another 1 in, as this is will be the quickest and cheapest way to solve the problem fingers crossed and a bit of a calculated risk as a rebuild could be very costly

I've sourced 2 3S-GE's but yet to speak to seller about them,
I also know of another 1 that some parts can be taken from
and I've also been pointed in the direction of a brand new 1

but if any of you know of 1 that's kicking about post it up and lets us know as the exchange rate could work in my favour

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun May 06, 2007 6:05 pm

Sorry to hear that Robin, what do you think went wrong? was she running too lean?

Haven't heard of any spare engines myself but i keep an eye out...

What about putting in a bigger lump like Marcus over on LOC? or do you want to stay faithful to the 3SGE

anyway hope it gets sorted with out too much cost...

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Mon May 07, 2007 11:41 pm

I don't know Noel

the car had fueling problems when I 1st got it but this was sorted by fitting a new fuel pump, wish I had an air/fuel meter fitted when I had this done

not really looked into what the course was as hearing the news was bad enough

gonna stick with the 3S-GE

bit of a risk doing a swap as I don't really know what I'll be getting unless I can get it tested before I buy it, got to speak to janspeed tomorrow as there only an hour away from me and have experience with 3S-GE's and have the facilities to test it

I think doing a rebuild could be a bit costly and if I was to rebuild now would be the time to uprated the internals but I can't commit to that and would be kicking myself if I ended up doing it in a few years time as I would of paid for it twice

but if I hand a spare 1 laying about that could be built up at my own leisure that could be quite good

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Tue May 08, 2007 8:58 am

Like you say a spare would be handy so that when you have the money you could uprate the sick one but you have to think about the price of a new engine compared to the price of a rebuild.
Go on you want a 2.2 high compression kit :lol:

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Tue May 08, 2007 1:28 pm

yeah a 2.2 high comp kit would be nice with some nice TB's fitted

I have to live in the real world of money which is a shame lol

I'm not ruling anything out yet.
I have a friend who has a Evo 8 mr and he gets his mates to service his car, as they know evo's in side out as the race them all the time and constantly tweaking there engines
they've got a real good set up in the workshop and plus it's only 5 miles away from me :D

gonna see how much it would cost to have new rings fitted as there labour rate is cheap compared to others as they only really work on known cars if you know what I mean as there not a garage

gonna fit new head bolts, and get a gasket set for the head, new timing belt ect ect and see how much difference that makes
could be a waste of time but it could fix the compression problem, then it'll be off to the dyno to check everything else

I just dunno

anto
Dublin Rep

Postby anto » Tue May 08, 2007 5:37 pm

sorry to hear

Return to “Car chat”