Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Engine cover

Anything related to cars
Dan
Site Admin

Engine cover

Postby Dan » Sat May 05, 2007 1:26 am

I was trying to take my engine cover off today, the plastic bit that has the Beams logo on it. Problem is one of the bolts' head is gone and the alan key wont grip it. any suggestions on how to get it out without doing too much damage? :oops:

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Sat May 05, 2007 12:22 pm

i know u can drill the bolt to get a grip into it . that what i do on other screws of things when they go round ?

but i dono if ud want to do this . best ask dizz if he could help you out .

painting your cover?
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Sat May 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Had the exact same problem myself...

Get an 6mm drill bit and drill into the head of the bolt just enough to take off the head of the bolt, then when you take off the cover get a pliers and take out the rest of the bolt screwed into the head...

Sounds scary i know but just drill in a bit at a time and check to see how far you've gone down it should only be a few mm and shouldn't take that long, I reckon this prolbem is caused by over tightening the bolts in the first place, it dosen't need to be held on too tightly its only an engine cover its just there to make the engine tidier!
Kerry Rep

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Sat May 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Had the same problem too. Also have a hoover with you to get all the metal you drill out

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Sun May 06, 2007 4:56 pm

there's a few things you can try before drilling

put a drop of penetrating oil on it leave it to soak in a bit

if you've got some old star drive bits about hammer 1 in the end of the bolt don't go crazy with the hammer tho, you've just got to get the star drive wedged in place, you can also try filing down a bigger alan key so it fits, or you could try with a screw driver wedged across the alan key fitment in bolt head

try to do undo the bolt slowly as once it's started to come out it should unscrew easily unless it's bound in there

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon May 07, 2007 9:31 pm

And the correct answer was.... WD40!! Just sprayed a bit on and let it soak in for a few hours and out she came!! Does anyone know can you order these bolts form a Toyota dealer, would be handy to have a few spare ones around

Return to “Car chat”