Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Petrol Alternative?

Anything related to cars
Gerbo
Tezza Fanatic!

Petrol Alternative?

Postby Gerbo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 am

As everybody knows petrol is getting more expensive, I heard recently that it could top €4 a litre in 10 years time and may be gone altogether in 25 years time. We call ourselves petrol heads at the moment but what will we be in the future when we are all in our 40's and 50's.

Hydrogen power cell heads.
Bio-Fuel Heads.
Solar powered heads.
Electric Heads.
Compressed Air heads :D
Nuclear power heads.

And what mods will nengun and takakaira be offering then? Will we be talking about doing a 300kw electric motor swap on our mark 10 IS 200.

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Postby xnickx » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:28 pm

As some of you guys/girls might already know, a few people/companies have made cars to run on numerous alternative fuels now.

There is a company here in NZ that used to do something similar to this, but government canned it... Cause they cant tax it!
Probably similar to THIS

Also in Malaysia about 10-15 years ago, someone made an engine to run off Water, yes Water, but yet again, the government bought it (as we are told) and it was never seen again, nor the inventor :shock:

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Chip fat heads :D . Its always going to be the governments of the world that decide what way its going to go. The best option is not going to be used if it dont make enough for the government so it will be the public that always suffer. must find out how to make the stuff at home

rodge
Trc On!

Postby rodge » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:56 pm

Well gang, if ye want a real alternative here and now to your unleaded then ethanol is the way to go. I have mine using ethanol for the last 4 months and am delighted with it. The fuel is available from maxol garages around Ireland and more are coming on line before june. I can still use unleaded if I want and its all fully automatic so no annoying switches or anything. Plus ethanol is 94c compared to 112c/l and for those of you who are registered you can reclaim the VAT on the fuel so it becomes cheaper still. check out www.fullflex.ie for a bit more info. Ethanol is also Irish made so your supporting Irish jobs too. Just saying.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:04 pm

In your Altezza? And how does this affect the performance of your car? Would be interesting to see dyno figures using ethanol and the unleaed and see the difference!

rodge
Trc On!

Postby rodge » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:41 pm

yep, in my tessy. Was a bit nerving for the first time but it works perfectly. Was hoping to get it tested at the rolling road day but I missed it. There is definately no loss in power and may have even helped things a bit. Im planning on getting it tested soon, Im just waiting on a new exhaust to arrive.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Havent seen that for sale anywhere around Dublin. Is there anyhting u need to change on ur car to get it to run on that stuff?

rodge
Trc On!

Postby rodge » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:16 am

Its on sale through Maxol stations around Ireland, there are four or five stations in Dublin selling it with more around the country from limerick, Ennis Cork Waterford..... it goes on. Check out www.maxol.ie for their locations. You need a conversion kit which adjusts the injector timing to match the fuel mix being used see www.fullflex.ie. Its all very neat and tidy plus there is no cutting of wires it all just plugs into place and if you want can be removed just as easy and everything is back to standard.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:47 am

No kerry station :cry:

Like the 104 ron part :D

Made from milk!.... thats mad :twisted:

rodge
Trc On!

Postby rodge » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 am

Ya its a bit rare down there alright, but if you go and talk to your local Maxol station thay might get it in if there is enough demand, thats what is happening in skibereen. Running on cow juice is definately intersting!

Gerbo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Gerbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 am

So how much is the conversion kit? Where can you get it fitted and how much is fitting? If its 104ron and safe to use I want some of that action. There is a maxol station up the road from me in Navan.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:10 am

Where does it say its 104 RON Noel?

Edit: Ah i see it now on the Maxol site!!

How much does the conversion kit cost Rodge?

rodge
Trc On!

Postby rodge » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 am

It costs 480 euro (including VAT) and there is a 10 euro delivery charge. Fitting is easy out, I did it myself, just clips in to the fuel injector and negative of battery. You can get it from www.fullflex.ie.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:52 am

and you can switch between biofuel and standard unleaded as u choose? THis flexifuel isnt ur site by any chance rodge or is it just a coincedence the owners is call Rodger? :lol:

rodge
Trc On!

Postby rodge » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Well hehe :oops: Yep its mine. The system is fully automatic and you can use any mix you like from unleaded through to E85 (ethanol). I do a fare bit of mileage so I try to use ethanol as much as I can, its an environmental thing. But all that aside I put it into my own car and Im sure anyone on this site would never put their Altezzas at risk if they werent sure. Im chuffed with it.

Return to “Car chat”