Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Insuring your modified motor!

Anything related to cars
Dan
Site Admin

Insuring your modified motor!

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:37 pm

So lads thought i'd start a seperate thread about all this insuring modifications etc. So i rang around today a few different places. Im currently with hibernian and they sent me a renewal for 2160 which is an increase of 60 Euro!

Here's the details i was using:
Male
1 year Ncb
2 penalty points(speeding)
Full license 1 year
Toyota Altezza RS200 6MT with no mods

Here's the answers i got:
Britton car insurance: 1497, no turbo, supercharger allowed or any performance mods
Eaglestar:1325 no mods allowed
Tesco: wouldnt quote me!
XSdirect: 1336, 4 grand excess!
quoteme.ie: 1722
FBD: no longer insuring high performance cars!(Elexes fault i think)
Quinn Direct: 1497

Anyone else i should try? i dont want to do any major performance mods without declaring them to the insurers

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Holy smokes batman they all seem quiet high. I know you dont have much ncb but maybe its something to do with being in Dublin. I'm 24 and only paying €950 for mine. I didn't say anything about mods but I dont have much so i said why bother. I'm with hibernian too by the way

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:51 pm

well considering im paying 2100 at the moment i think they are great! Its definetly because i live in Dublin, and its probably one of the better areas too!

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:59 pm

You will have to move to Kerry Dan. Were all sensible down here :wink:

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:40 pm

Dan wrote:well considering im paying 2100 at the moment i think they are great! Its definetly because i live in Dublin, and its probably one of the better areas too!

well ive told them everything that i have inc part numbers ( easier to stick to part numbers then saying power enterprise turbo kit )

im 27 paying 1000 inc all the extra's that a insurance company can offer ive 5 years ncb

ring axa the main number cant rember it 1850 282820 i think
ask for ashling walsh ext no 3695 i think . say its a personal call

tell her you were talking to me ( ian kelly ) and she will talk strait to you and tell you the best way to get insurance in your case

all the carbon bits didnt add anything extra to the insurance same with the paint the audio system etc...

have you tried ringing your mum and getting her to insure it with u as a named driver ? i realise its like taking a step back in time but it would be a short term solution . did you mention to each of them that you dont drink or smoke at all and that you have a alarm and immobiliser on your car and that its parked in your locked driveway / garage so impossible to get it out without your know how . ( even if its not just say u have one there not going to look at your house if youve crashed your car )

i fully support your being honestish to the insurance company but your location sux for it . tho if you lived in louth it would be worse
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 pm

AXA wont go near me with my car unless i have at least 4 years NCB, to be honest i think ill just stick with what ive got so! Going to switch to Eagle Star, they gave me the best quote 1300. That will do me :cry:

Tezzy
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Tezzy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 pm

i rang Brittons there earlier today and was disappointed at ~€3,400 for TPFT :shock:. She said it was because it's a jap import that very few will quote. I ring about 20 places each year when i'm renewing and a brokerage in Waterford called Fitzgerald Insurances were always ahead of the rest. might be worth a call 051-877700. They're a helpful bunch as well

Bab's
Noob!

Postby Bab's » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:07 pm

im with eagle star fully comp and have my boyfriend covered on it aswell for 740 euros thats with all the mods and insured correctly :D

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:24 pm

must actually get onto my insurance company (quinn) about mods... hopefully i'll be putting an exhaust and an AFC into the car come the summer
Kerry Rep

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:47 am

As far as i know Quinn dont insure modified cars

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Bab's wrote:im with eagle star fully comp and have my boyfriend covered on it aswell for 740 euros thats with all the mods and insured correctly :D

May i ask " What mods"???

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:49 pm

shes got a turbo timer ( tho no turbo ) front strut brace . load of wires going across the engine bay xeon lights erm... cant rember but it was one of the best running cars on the day got 200bhp from what i rember ... tho i could be mixing babs up with the other 2 girls that came in ?

did you ever get that part you wanted ?
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

Bab's
Noob!

Postby Bab's » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Noel wrote:
Bab's wrote:im with eagle star fully comp and have my boyfriend covered on it aswell for 740 euros thats with all the mods and insured correctly :D

May i ask " What mods"???

Here is the list of stuff I gave the insurance company:

Thrust cat back exhaust system
Tein type HR coilovers
TRD 1.5 way diff
Cusco frount strut brace
Power enterprise earth kit
Apexi panell filter
Wald body kit
Rays versus alloys 17"
Turbo timer
6000k hid's
Bosch horn kit
Personal stearing wheel {with boss extension}
Driver and passenger limited edition Recaro seats
Greddy oil pressure, oil temp and water temp gauges
Thrust gear knob

:D :D

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Nothing there really performance mods though. Im goin to sign up with eagle star at the end of the month. ill see what they say about turbo kit!

Return to “Car chat”