Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Insurance and new law about imported cars..

Anything related to cars
fudder
Trc On!

Re: Insurance and new law about imported cars..

Postby fudder » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Damok wrote:The advice I would give anyone about open drive is read the small print of your insurance before you go driving anything and everything!! Some restrictions on it I have come across is if you insurance is on a 1ltr you can't drive anything bigger than a 1ltr and so on, age restrictions are also so there like 25+ and 30+
Also I'm sure there is a fine for non display of an insurance disk in a public place think its an €80 or €60 fine.... Keep that in mind.

went through mine like crazy well ago

no age requirement mentioned im 24 btw
other car must be under a 2 liter
and must not be in my name
doesnt mention tax or nct

thats with aviva

Damok

Postby Damok » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Every Insurance policy is different fudder. I'm only giving my advice and what I have come across.
As for no mention of tax or NCT that's nothing to do with Insurance, the provision is already set out in Irish law for them..
You drive a car on Irish roads with no NCT or tax on it. It can/could/might be impounded and even psv'd on you.
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

fudder
Trc On!

Postby fudder » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Damok wrote:Every Insurance policy is different fudder. I'm only giving my advice and what I have come across.
As for no mention of tax or NCT that's nothing to do with Insurance, the provision is already set out in Irish law for them..
You drive a car on Irish roads with no NCT or tax on it. It can/could/might be impounded and even psv'd on you.

i was gonna write that at the end of my comment that its illegal to drive without tax or nct anyway was a bit lazy earlier ...
i get ya my failure of a policy with axa was completely different on an ek9 i could drive anything up to a 3 liter with owners permission and must be road legal (nct)

my final experience with axa was a disaster rang to swap over to my altezza from my ek9 and 2 weeks later got stopped at a checkpoint with no proof of insurance when i rang axa for a copy of the insurance they said i never swapped over to the altezza and my current insurance was for a toyota yaris that i drove two years before for a few weeks they said they never heard of the ek9 and thats when i literally snapped had the policy for the ek9 and brought it straight to there office i got a loads of apology's and afterwards they even gave me an insurance policy to cover me when i was stopped in the altezza

2 months later time for renew i got a renew policy for the yaris :@ and gave up i joined aviva no problems yet

Damok

Postby Damok » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm not having ago or saying anything to anyone on this and this is at everyone who has posted here. Last thing I want is some poor chap/lady infront of a judge for an offence that is pointless if only they they had of understood what they are insured on and laws that are applied with it!!!
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

possel
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby possel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm with aviva and payed £620 for the year, I'm 27 have 8 years no claims BUT they would only insure it if I had a cat 1 alarm/immobiliser. Adrian flux is another good company for imports too. You could go down the route of a traders policy (I did the year before when I was self employed) broker called simply insurance got me a policy with tradewise. Note that most cases for the first year it's 3rd party fire and theft for all imports. That was £750

tezza mick
Altezza Guru

Postby tezza mick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Another thing about 3rd party extension is if your car gets stolen you get nothing..

pdiddy2505
Trc On!

Postby pdiddy2505 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 am

bought my insurance there yesterday with aviva for 540 im 31 with 5 years no claims.they were the cheapest around with all the bits and bobs most companies were between 600-800 euro

123 wanted near 700 this year after insuring me for the last two years for 400 a year
Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.

tezza mick
Altezza Guru

Postby tezza mick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 pm

123, are very well known for being dearer on the second year.

pdiddy2505
Trc On!

Postby pdiddy2505 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 pm

this was my 3rd year with them, they said on the phone that there rates for performance cars have gone up this year
Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.

sxe-bear
Trc Off

Postby sxe-bear » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:15 am

I only renewed my insurance in the tez last month. €592 , 26 with full licence and 5 years ncb with liberty.

Return to “Car chat”