ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

Powersteering pumps!!!!!!!!

Anything related to cars
john318
Trc On!

Powersteering pumps!!!!!!!!

Postby john318 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi just wondering has anyone had any trouble with powersteering pumps.
the first time it went i just presumed it was a nackered pump so i replaced it with a new one about 10 weeks ago. the steering was never perfect with this pump some days it would be stiff more days it was grand.
but this pump just packed it in at the rally was wondering could there be something else causing this?

Moe
Trc Off

Postby Moe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Very strange a new pump packing in so quickly.. drain the system and flush it out wi new fluid, then refill and try it again.

john318
Trc On!

Postby john318 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 pm

Do u reckon that could work. Ive no powersteering at this stage when it gave up this time it blew powersteering fluid out of the resovior but the lid was on tight and there was still loads of fluid in it

feeler
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby feeler » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:14 pm

ya i've had 2 pumps go on me. first pump went after 2 weeks of havin the car. was out diffin 2 min after it no power steering under 2.5k rev's. replaced the pump with a new 600euro pump form toyota and 4 weeks later same story pump just stopped workin after diffin it.

no one has any real idea's for me, i've done alot of askin around. and best we've come up with is, s@3! in the fluid or the rack is f***. but any time the pump was changed the steerin was 100%.

here a read here.
forum/viewtopic.php?t=696&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i've seen alot of people lookin for pumps so i think its more the just us its happened to.

john318
Trc On!

Postby john318 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:29 pm

did u get yours sorted out for a finish. and what did u do to sort it had u to buy another new pump or what. was the resovior empty when yours went cause there was loads in mine when it went just after diffin her but it blew fluid out from one of the hoses somewhere as if it was under pressure or something

feeler
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby feeler » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:51 pm

resovior was full both time's its happened. first time it happened the pump its self was pissin out fluid. the 2nd time my garage said it was a bad pump the sent it back to toyota, who replaced it. i myself just think thats was a easy answer for them. havn't diff'd it since the 3nd pump went in(as you can understand) sister's B/F is going rebuildin the first pump for me. then if it goes again he's going to changed the rack. thank f*** he's doin it for nothin if it is the rack.

have a look over on www.lexusownersclub.co.uk there's a few threads about pumps going in altezza's and is200's. but no one got to the bottom of it or if they did never said.
Last edited by feeler on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john318
Trc On!

Postby john318 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Sound. just wondering did toyota stand over the pump no problem even tho they did not fit it

feeler
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby feeler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:06 pm

ya there was no worries with replacing the pump. i got it form O'mara motors in limerick. just bring it back, they'll fill in a form sayin what happened, and i had a new one in two days.

a,doyle
Noob!

Postby a,doyle » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Have the same problem with mine. frist one went while diffin.. put a recon'd one in lasted 5 months.. gone completely now again.. Seem to be the same problems as above.. worked wen at 3000 rev's last 2 weeks like that, then gone completely.. fluid levels were all good and were checked regularly... waiting on a new one from toyota.. hopefully back in action on monday.. wondering how long this one will last to be honest...

feeler
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby feeler » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:26 pm

a,doyle wrote:Have the same problem with mine. frist one went while diffin.. put a recon'd one in lasted 5 months.. gone completely now again.. Seem to be the same problems as above.. worked wen at 3000 rev's last 2 weeks like that, then gone completely.. fluid levels were all good and were checked regularly... waiting on a new one from toyota.. hopefully back in action on monday.. wondering how long this one will last to be honest...

did you drain the hold system and rack when replacin the pump either time?

Gerbo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Gerbo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:22 am

Not being funny or anything, but do you not see a pattern forming.

"I was diffin and I f**ked my power steering pump"

What did you think was going to happen? The Altezza isn't a drift car and wasn't designed to be used as such. The drift teams in Japan has their cars set up for drifting with uprated diffs, clutches and power steering pumps etc, unfortunately you lads don't so if you have your steering on constant full lock for extended periods of time, expect damage.

Seriously lads put 2 & 2 together :roll:

Of course if you have unlimited funds to keep replacing pumps, carry on.

feeler
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby feeler » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:32 pm

Gerbo wrote:Not being funny or anything, but do you not see a pattern forming.

"I was diffin and I f**ked my power steering pump"

What did you think was going to happen? The Altezza isn't a drift car and wasn't designed to be used as such. The drift teams in Japan has their cars set up for drifting with uprated diffs, clutches and power steering pumps etc, unfortunately you lads don't so if you have your steering on constant full lock for extended periods of time, expect damage.

Seriously lads put 2 & 2 together :roll:

Of course if you have unlimited funds to keep replacing pumps, carry on.

if that was the answer 85% of altezza in ireland would need a new P/S. altezza's will go around all day and all nite , just like cam's. your right about one thing standard altezza's aren't worth a s@3! for driftin. but there well able for diffin. i drain the hold system and rack. and the fluid that come out was black.

Gerbo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Gerbo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 pm

if that was the answer 85% of altezza in ireland would need a new P/S. altezza's will go around all day and all nite , just like cam's. your right about one thing standard altezza's aren't worth a s@3! for driftin. but there well able for diffin. i drain the hold system and rack. and the fluid that come out was black.

Obviously yours won't go around all day and all night. You would think after the 3rd pump :shock: you would have copped that "diffin" was doing the damage.

I doubt it very much that the biggest car company in the world are producing dodgy pumps and that you are finding them all at your local dealer.

Try fitting a repaired pump and NOT "diffin" for a while and see how long the pump lasts.

Never got diffin anyway always reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoS-MCnTPtQ

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Gerbo wrote:Never got diffin anyway always reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoS-MCnTPtQ

[quote]
I was going to ask what was meant by "diffin," but that video explains it perfectly.. :)

R.

feeler
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby feeler » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:07 pm

thats make point lad. one of the biggest and well know for there build quilty car company aren't makin s@3! pumps.( well i'm sure who ever make's them for toyota aren't.)

so that leaves the fuild or the rack. i'd like to know my car was workin 100%. but thats just me. my altezza has an easy life to some altezza's my mate's have.

but i'd like to know if i feel like doin 2 or 3 rings here or there i'm not going to have to replace a pump. i beleive the 2nd pump went because the garage just changed the pump with out drainin the full system.

as said pumps aren't cheap, and i'm not one to be handin out 600+euro's out every other week. but i think i'll rebuild the old pump to have it all the same.

Return to “Car chat”