ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

Emissions

Anything related to cars
roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Tried all that, but failed again. I wouldn't want to go and waste money on a new probe (and another retest) if that's not what's wrong. I'll need to take it in somewhere that can verify the levels after doing whatever needs to be done.

R.

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:32 pm

I took a few photos of the exhaust. Can you tell if it a cat back system or no?

R.

Bobby
South East Rep

Postby Bobby » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:56 pm

get a pic of the back of the car exhaust tip. to know for certain. but looks like one. did you change the lambda sensor before the test?
I BEG TO DIFF-ER!!

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:17 pm

looks like a bog standard system to me, but just to confirm a pic from this angle would help:

or this:

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:39 pm

I'll get one tomorrow when it's bright again. It's definitely not bog standard, as I have (parts of) the original in the shed, which is way smaller.. :)

R.

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 pm

Here are those shots:

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:27 pm

yep thats defo an after market cat back, i couldn't see that affecting the emissions, more the noise levels. did u say you had the standard one in the shed? is this the only bit you have. cat pipe looks standard to me

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:24 pm

I have the original back section alright, can't remember if there was any more to it. The car came stuffed with all the original parts. I'll have to look again.
It's loud alright, but it wasn't a problem for the NCT.

I was looking for the lambda sensor on the workshop manuals, but couldn't find it. What would it also be known as?

R.

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:25 pm

oxygen sensor.... :wink:

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Dan wrote:yep thats defo an after market cat back, i couldn't see that affecting the emissions, more the noise levels. did u say you had the standard one in the shed? is this the only bit you have. cat pipe looks standard to me

Here's what came off it:

R.

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:54 pm

One of those pieces in the last pic is the cat and centre box section. It could have been changed for a decat pipe. Your best to put that piece back on and that should solve the problem unless the new piece that was put on was a sports cat. If thats the case then it should have been ok with the emissions.

edit. Just looking at the pics above it looks like a decat pipe was put in. Put the centre section back on for the test and you should be fine

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:31 pm

id say put both old pieces back on then once passed the NCT swap back, easy job to do, only 4 bolts. might be worth getting some new exhaust gaskets, you might break current ones swapping over exhausts

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Are all the sections interchangeable? I was talking to a mechanic when I got it first about the exhaust leakage and he said that I'd need to get an original manifold to put the old exhaust back on. I didn't like the noise of it initially, but I've gotten used to it, especially when I found out how much the Fujitsubo ones cost!

I've booked it in with McNamara's for Friday anyway, I want to make sure there's nothing more serious wrong with it. They have the full range of analyzers I believe so the should be able to tell me exactly what's up. I'll bring the bits and pieces as well in case they need to be used.
Imported it four months ago and I'm still getting it sorted out! :roll:

R.

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Right, left it in to McNamara's for a few days, they did say that the lambda sensor was reacting slowly and they replaced that. They are not convinced however that it will be enough to pass. The levels still fluctuate around the pass/fail mark. I'm putting it in this Friday, with the usual additive tricks and keeping the exhaust hot. Fingers crossed.

The only good news out of the whole lot is that I do have a Tom's ECU. "That's some fancy ECU you have in that car," - quote. They said that the ECU board itself has been modified, but as such they can't do anything with it. The mixture the engine is receiving is deliberately a little on the rich side, to maximise performance. Not so good when it comes to emissions. They did say that if it failed again, I would need to consider getting a new ECU. I was wondering if members here had standard ECUs in their own cars? Are they interchageable? If it failed, would anyone consider swapping their ECU with mine for a day, while I put it through the test?
That said, I'm hoping it won't come to that!

Also, which would be better to have in the in the tank, Shell V Power or Maxol E5?

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Which fuel are you using currently i'd say the toms ecu is mapped to run on unleaded 100 if you are using unleaded 95, that could be the main cause of your problem. i know the standard ecu can sort of retard the timing and adjust to unleaded 95 after a bit not sure if this is the case with the Toms ecu. Whens your NCT?

you should be using the E5 fuel its average is 99.2 ron where vpower is 95 at best

Return to “Car chat”