ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

Emissions

Anything related to cars
roberte
Trc Off

Emissions

Postby roberte » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi,
The first round NCT failed due to high idle CO emissions. The Toyota garage told me that they cannot do anything about it and recommended going to McNamaras to get a second catalytic converter fitted.
Just wondering has anyone else had to do this? I've a Fujitsubo exhaust, would this complicate matters?
I did the whole warming up the car business first of all but to no avail. I had booked in a re-test this Saturday, so it's too late to cancel. I'm thinking of putting it through again with a bottle of additive. Any recommendations on which to use?

R.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:58 pm

could the Lamda /02 sensor be at fault?

shakey
Altezza Guru

Postby shakey » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:07 pm

as noel said if this is faulty it would b your problem

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Noel wrote:could the Lamda /02 sensor be at fault?

I would have thought the Toyota garage should have been able to tell me this? They just said there was nothing they could do.

R.

Bobby
South East Rep

Postby Bobby » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:36 pm

dont think the toyota garages have diagnostic equipment for the altezza, so there would be nothing they can do. if its over on the lambda emmissions the most likely fault is the lambda sensor. you can get theese is any factors cost around 80-100e depending on make. bottle of additive wont make any great difference.
I BEG TO DIFF-ER!!

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:38 pm

remember its a jap import and they wouldn't have much experience with these cars as they were never sold in Ireland officially. they might not have the right equipment to diagnose the fault.

3S-GE
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby 3S-GE » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:53 pm

the lambda sensors only measure the emissions, they dont control them. is your exhaust just a cat back system??
BEAMS: Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:58 pm

3S-GE wrote:the lambda sensors only measure the emissions, they dont control them. is your exhaust just a cat back system??

But doesn't the ECU use this information from the Lambda to adjust the fuel mixture....

EDIT : just been reading this website ... http://www.picotech.com/auto/lambda_sensor.html

think it's time i changed my two as well as I've got some of the wearing out symptoms ....

anybody have part no.'s handy? :)

3S-GE
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby 3S-GE » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Noel wrote:
3S-GE wrote:the lambda sensors only measure the emissions, they dont control them. is your exhaust just a cat back system??

I thought the ECU used information from the Lambda?

thats right. the ECU takes all its information from all the various sensors in the car. if it notices something not right, it will put on the engine managment light on the dash and store the problem on its memory.

but as for the emissions failing the nct requirements, sensors are not the problem :wink:
BEAMS: Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System.

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Ehm, I dunno. How would I tell?

If a regular Toyota garage can't diagnose it, who can? Would McNamara's be able to?

R.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:35 pm

roberte wrote:

R.

look underneath and see if there is a cat.... not a pussy :lol:

Bobby
South East Rep

Postby Bobby » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 pm

i know your a mechanic and i'm not doubtin ya or anyhing but if the sensor wasn't operating to its full potential but also wasn't broken would this not effect the emmissions? i'm asking because i had the same trouble with my first altezza, brought it for the retest with a bottle of additives in the tank- no difference. brought it for the second retest after changing the lambda sensor and it flew trough.....? had no engine manegment light on either....?
I BEG TO DIFF-ER!!

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:28 am

Might be a combination of CO2 sensor and a knackered cat. A worn cat seems to be a problem with the altezza

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Noel wrote:
roberte wrote:

R.

look underneath and see if there is a cat.... not a pussy :lol:

I'll look tomorrow, don't fancy lying in the snow looking at exhausts. :D

For what it's worth, I put a bottle of Redex in it and I'm putting it through tomorrow anyway as I'd have to pay the cancellation fee if I didn't. You never know..

R.

Moe
Trc Off

Postby Moe » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:47 am

Try using high grade fuel- Shell V-Power or Maxol E5..
Any gararge can check your emissions before you get it tested.
New Lambda probe shouldn't be hard to get in a motor factors, and as for Toyota not having experience with Altezza's because they were never officially imported, they just can't be arsed..
It's not rocket science for a good mechanic to diagnose faults like this whether he/she has software or not.

Return to “Car chat”