Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Fitting Plasma Dials

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
lee_iceman
Trc Off

Fitting Plasma Dials

Postby lee_iceman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Remove the 3 screws holding the surround on, 2 at the top, 1 at the bottom.

Gently pull the surround away and unclip the brightness adjuster.

Remove the 3 screws holding in the dials, 1 at the top, 2 at the bottom.

Gently pull the dials towards you until you can reach around and unclip the 2 plugs. (at this stage you will lose your trip mileage), remove the unit.

Remove the black surround from the dials, by removing the screw at the top and unclipping the 6/7 tabs.

Turn the dials over and remove the 4 larger gold screws.

Gently ease out the centre speedo dial, it its only held in place by pins, be gentle though as the pins are delicate.

Lift the speedo needle over the stop pin and let it rest, either take a pic or count the number of marks so you put it back in the correct position. Now gently pull the needle off.

My Garage, My YouTube
Nurburgring2 2006, lap in 11:48 | Bruntingsthorpe 2006, 1/4 mile in 15.8@88mph
213.3bhp and 247.3Nm of torque

lee_iceman
Trc Off

Part 2

Postby lee_iceman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Turn the speedo over and undo the 3 gold screws and the battery/temp/mpg dials will come away. Now remove the temp needle, it just pulls off.

Take the new plasma dials and place some double sided tape around the edge. Get the new dials in place by slipping them over the battery/mpg needles and onto the stop pegs.

Now turnover the speedo and tape the new plasma dial on the inside of the speedo.

For the fuel gauge you’ll need to remove the stop peg and again using double sided tape around the edges position and stick the new dial in place. (This is easier with the dial removed, as with the speedo, gently pull the dial up). Now put the stop peg back in, getting it back in can a bit tricky, I just had to make the hole a tad wider.

Repeat the above step for the rev counter, there is no need to remove the rev or fuel needles.
Now screw the battery/temp/mpg back into the speedo. Push back in the fuel and rev gauges, making sure the pins line up. Now push back in the speedo.

Screw the 4 gold screws back in and put the speedo needle back on in the same position it was removed and lift it back over the stop pin.
Now for the wiring, we are going to wire it into the larger of the two connector blocks
If you want to be able to dim them with the standard dimmer then connect the live to the Green with grey band and the neutral goes to cream with a grey band.

Now we need to connect the dials back up and start the car so it gets up to temperature, once its there push the temperature needle back on so that it’s horizontal.
Unplug again and clip in the black dial surround making sure the cables aren’t clamped by the clips and put the little screw back in.

Connect up the four connectors for the different part of the dials, doesn’t matter in which order they go. Tie wrap the extra cable and tuck it behind the speedo. Carefully place the speedo back into position and secure with the 3 screws.
Place the surround back over and connect up the dimmer plug, once back in place secure with the 3 screws.

This is what it will now look like.

My Garage, My YouTube

lee_iceman
Trc Off

Postby lee_iceman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:21 pm

If anyone is interested in a set give me a shout, i'll send you the info to get them a bit cheaper than ebay ;)
Unfortunatly they only come in manual and have the Lexus logo on :(

My Garage, My YouTube

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 pm

unfortunately Lee these would be no good for the Altezza, one the small 3 clocks on the is200, the MPG is actually oil pressure gauge on the Altezza's. Alo the Altezza redlines at 7850 rpm if i remember correctly. was really interested myself until i noticed these differences. If Altezza specific ones can be made up im sure we could easily get a group buy interest on here, if Snowman can make them up

lee_iceman
Trc Off

Postby lee_iceman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Is mine the only Lexus on the site then :(
At least people know how to take the dials out now :D

My Garage, My YouTube

lee_iceman
Trc Off

Postby lee_iceman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Right, can do a group buy for 10 for £80 delivered.
The only problem is we need a picture of the Altezza dials.

My Garage, My YouTube

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:24 pm

lee_iceman wrote:Is mine the only Lexus on the site then :(

nope :wink: ... one other guy joined recently :D

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:36 pm

ill stick some up in the morning

Return to “How-Tos”