Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

DIY ; How To Change Rocker Cover Gaskets

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
Altezzahead
Cork rep

DIY ; How To Change Rocker Cover Gaskets

Postby Altezzahead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

This is the way I changed mine and maybe it will help others if they are thinking of doing the same.Do it on a dry day or garage and take your time .

Tools + items needed , Allen Key , 10mm Socket , 10mm Ring Spanner (maybe a 12mm as well), long nosed pliers , marker , Clean cloths and a clean plastic bag.
2 new Cylinder Head gaskets shown in picture below (Part Number included) .
Price from Toyota €25 .

new seals part number.jpg
new seals part number.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 9655 times

Before You remove anything i would advise have something to keep the different sets of screws/bolts and write where your taking them out of so you don't lose track.

1. Remove Plastic Rocket Cover (Strut Bar have to be removed first if you have one). 7 Allen key screws to take out.
rocket cover.jpg
rocket cover.jpg (93.3 KiB) Viewed 9655 times

2. After the Plastic rocket cover is removed I numbered the coilpacks (yellow in pic below) and removed the 4 bolts.Next you will need a long nose pliers to pry open clips on the end of 2 different rubber pipes . Just squeeze the clips back over the pipe a bit and you should be able to pull the pipes out (see pic below) . These have no fluid in them.

In the pic below you will see 2 more pipes at the back of the cylinder head , i just opened the bolt holding the bracket so I had more access the cylinder head. In pic below you will see written in red "Remove from rocket cover" This bolt holds 2 earth wires that are attached to the head , this needs to be done as well .
overview 1.jpg
overview 1.jpg (87.1 KiB) Viewed 9655 times

2. Pull out the 4 coilpacks starting with the one closest to you and work your way back . At the very front of the cylinder head there is another screw holding the coilpack leads onto the cylinder head , remove this. At the back right hand corner of the cylinder head are 2 electrical connecters , unplug them also. (see in pic below)
Now you can start to take out the 7 head cylinder bolts (10mm socket) .

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.
Last edited by Noel on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Re: DIY ; How To Change Cylinder Head Gaskets

Postby Altezzahead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:15 pm

overview 2.jpg
overview 2.jpg (104.74 KiB) Viewed 9648 times

3. After bolts are removed lift the cylinder head off with care . Have a plastic bag ready to place it into to avoid dirt etc getting into it. I gave mine a clean around the channels with a good clean cloths after removing the old seals (they just pull out very easily) . Also remove and grim or black rubber left on the edge of the cylinder head cover and head its self.
seals removed.jpg
seals removed.jpg (114.13 KiB) Viewed 9648 times

4. Now all you need to do is put in the new seals into the cylinder head cover , start in one corner and work your way around . Make sure the seals are firmly pressed into the channels .
The cylinder head cover is now ready to be put back on . Take your time when putting it in place to knock the seals out of place . Put all the bolts back in once the cover is in place and lined up properly. When tightening these bolts I did each bolt about 3 times so the cover sealed evenly . DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN ANY BOLTS.
Its time to work your way back and put it all together again. Check your have everything back in place , screws , bolts , clips , pipes and oil cap . Thats about it really.

I would advise to change your spark plugs while your your doing this job. 2 of my plugs had a lot of oil on them so it was probably the old seal after weakening
.jpg
.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 9648 times

donut46
Meath Rep

Postby donut46 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 pm

nice job ronan fair play lad good info 8)
QUALITAT ALTEZZA

Please Support Your Club
viewtopic.php?t=8309&f=2

TezzaWorld Car Stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724&hilit=stickers

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

donut46 wrote:nice job ronan fair play lad good info 8)

writing the post took longer than the job :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex-evita
Altezza Guru

Postby Alex-evita » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 pm

well done.Cool!
do it once and do it right !!!

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Re: DIY ; How To Change Rocker Cover Gaskets

Postby Altezzahead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Oh and thanks to Damok as well , he got a few phone calls from me to get helpful tips .

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Nice job :)
Stickied :wink:

Dizz
Site Admin

Postby Dizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Now a How-To, cheers Ronan! :wink:

Return to “How-Tos”