Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

MAF SENSOR CLEANING GUIDE

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
Shane M
Altezza Guru

MAF SENSOR CLEANING GUIDE

Postby Shane M » Fri May 29, 2009 5:07 pm

A dirty MAF sensor can cause performance problems, the most common seems to be the dreaded flat spot around 5000 revs....

So this guide is to show you the steps involved in cleaning the MAF sensor...

Things you'll need
10mm socket
Philips screwdriver
Electrical contact cleaner

Make sure you do this with the ignition off !

First remove the 10mm bolt on the front right side of the intake and pull that section of the intake out, then you can see where the MAF sensor is located (shown with red arrow on pic)....... Now make sure the philips screwdriver you have is a good fit into the screw because these screws round off very easily and are also in quite tight ! ( if you can't unscrew the screws then it's a good idea to remove the whole induction unit as you will have a much better angle to get at the screws )

Now push the screwdriver hard onto the screw and turn anti clockwise and take both screws out, now you can remove the MAF sensor from the intake, just twist it to the left a bit and it just pulls out...... Now you can disconnect it from the power socket.... Make sure that you don't lose the rubber seal that is on the MAF sensor unit, it's quite loose for some reason :roll: (highlighted with red arrow in pic)

Now get your contact cleaner and give the outside temperature probe a good clean, also down the tube there's 2 more sensor wires like resistors, give them a good few squirts until they look like metal again rather than oily :) shake off any excess cleaner and the rest will evaporate...

Now plug it back into the power socket and install it back into the induction box and reassemble the intake and bolt her up.....Hopefully now there's no more flat spot and a lot smoother ride :mrgreen:

I bought my MAF sensor cleaner from here and it was about €10 shipped, but i believe any electrical contact cleaner will do.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/p-3640- ... 05110.aspx

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by Shane M on Sat May 30, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evelyn

Re: MAF SENSOR CLEANING GUIDE

Postby Evelyn » Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 am

Shane ur a real picture pro, good man if I only had this advise a few month ago when I f*** up my screws :lol: :lol:

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Sat May 30, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks Eve :)

I've lost count of the amount of times this question comes up, so figured this would make it a whole lot easier for everyone :) and i was bored :lol:

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sat May 30, 2009 12:32 am

I actually cant remember what way I did mine but I still think the screws are broke!!!!

P.D.87RWD
Altezza Guru

Postby P.D.87RWD » Sat May 30, 2009 1:20 am

Fair play Shane M good job..it a common problem with alot of the lads and ladys asking on the site good idea to do this nice camera work as they say a picture is a thousand words...Fair play good man.. :) :D Must get round to doing my own someday.... :roll: :wink: :D

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sat May 30, 2009 8:57 am

Fair play Shane another good guide. I think a sticky is in order

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Sat May 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Thanks lads 8)

Noel