Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT GUIDE

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
Shane M
Altezza Guru

FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT GUIDE

Postby Shane M » Sun May 10, 2009 8:53 pm

This guide is just to give you an idea on how to change the fuel filter in your Altezza.... There's too many steps to explain exactly, but hopefully the pictures will be a big help.

It's not that difficult, just fiddly.... It's easier if you have someone helping and will take approx 1 hour first time around....

My main advice is to take your time with each step, so you don't damage any clips etc ! also pay close attention to how the unit comes apart as this makes it easy as pie to put it back together :)

I bought my Filter from xnickx and was €38 shipped, which is almost half the price i got quoted by Toyota Ireland.

IMPORTANT! there are different filters depending on year of manufacture, find out which one you need before ordering

Things you'll need
Replacement Filter
Philips screwdriver
Thin flat head screwdriver
8mm & 10mm socket
Strong needle :)

I would advise to do this with a low amount of petrol in the tank, i also unscrewed the fuel cap to release the pressure...

Ok first you have to take out the bottom part of the back seat, which is clipped in at the front... Just get your hands either side of the clip under the seat and pull up and it pops off... Then unscrew the 3 black platic nuts (10mm socket) and lift up the plate....

Carefully pull back the yellow clip a small bit and pop it out each side using a thin screwdriver, once the clips out you can pull up the black pipe ( put some rags around the area and over the pipe as when it comes off it squirts a bit of petrol)... The grey plug you see is awkward to get out because of the clips (shown in pics with red arrows), so i waited until i unscrewed and lifted the black plate which made it easier.....

Unscrew the 8 nuts you see (8mm socket) and now you can lift up the black plate... Now it's easier to remove the grey plug, unless you already managed it... Now the black plate is off you can carefully manoeuvre the full unit out of the tank... Now unclip the fuel pipe and the unit is free...

I layed down an old towel to take the unit apart... This bit has too many steps to explain in detail, but basically the plastic housing is all clipped together, so i used a thin screwdriver to carefully prise it apart.... Once the plastic housing is off prise off the star washer (i used a strong needle) and pop off the arm that's covered in mesh... Then unclip and pull the bottom pipe out of the filter and the same with the top part of the unit (both are quite stiff, but with a bit of persausion they'll pop out... When i pulled the top part of the unit out of the filter, the rubber washer and plastic yoke stayed inside the filter, so pick them out with small screwdriver and place them back on the top pipe of the unit.... (which i hightlighted on the pics with red arrow).... Now you can pull othe pump out of the filter and begin reassembling with the new filter :)

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

PIC OF FUEL FILTER

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Re: FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT GUIDE

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sun May 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Nice guide lad, plenty of pics too! Looks like it was well fidly!!

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun May 10, 2009 9:26 pm

nice one Shane :wink:

this deserves to be moved into the "How to" section and stickied :)

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Please read this link for discussion about different filters :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4286
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “How-Tos”