Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

DIY: Removing Front Bumper and Headlights (pics and video)

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
lextasyis300
Trc On!

DIY: Removing Front Bumper and Headlights (pics and video)

Postby lextasyis300 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Tools Needed:
3/8 drive socket and 10mm socket
3/8 drive extension
1/4 drive socket and 10mm socket
Flathead screwdriver
Phillipshead screwdriver

Step One:

I find it easier to remove all the under panel screws first, it will give you more play in the plastic in the wheel well and make it easier to pull the bumper around it when that time comes. All the bolts at 10mm around the bottom.

Step Two:

Remove the front two plastic push rivets from each side with a flathead screwdriver. Just pop the head out and the rest will will come out too with a little force of the flathead

Step Three:

Pop the plastic out form behind the bumper and pull it back a little. It will take a little force to pop it out around the top, but it will come out, just pull.

Step Four:

Unscrew the top bolt on the inside of the plastic. As you do this, you will begin to see the bumper drop down at the corners just under the headlight. This is also a 10mm socket, just find it and unscrew it.

Step Five:

Remove the 4 plastic screws on the outside of the grill and the screw in the center of the grill. You don't have to take the grill completely off, the bumper will still drop with the tabs attached

Step Six:

Start pulling on the bumper until you have it off all the way around and then drop it down to the ground. I always lay a towel out so that the bumper doesn't set directly on the ground

Step Seven:

This step will be different for most other people since i have HID fogs, but you can just unplug the connector from the fog light bulb (depending on the length of your wire you may have to reach behind the bumper before you pull it off to do this so you have enough room to set it on the ground)

Your bumper is now off the car. Now on to the headlight removal.

Step Eight:

Unbolt the screw on the top of the headlight. 10mm screw

Step Nine:

you have to get inside the wheel well to see these two bolts on the back of the headlight. They are a pain in the ass to get, the bottom one can be gotten with the 3/8 drive socket, but the top one is easier to get with a 1/4 drive, especially if you have big hands like me. They are both 10mm

Step Ten:

You will have to wiggle the headlight out as far as it will go and then pull it up and out. If you do it right, it will sound like you broke something, like two piece of plastic were snapped apart. See the video to hear this and see how to pull it out

If you need to take the headlight all the way out, just pull the connectors off all of the bulbs and any thing else that needs to be unplugged and pull it out. Hope this helps anyone out and if you have any questions, PM me of post them up.

Evelyn

Re: DIY: Removing Front Bumper and Headlights (pics and video)

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Oh I can see where my towing hook is now :oops: :oops:

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm sure some one will find this guide handy so i think a sticky is in order... :wink:

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Ya they diffently will, I did mine but I didnt take off the bumber because the nuts were seized....

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Evelyn wrote:Oh I can see where my towing hook is now :oops: :oops:

Its OK evelyn you wont need it anyway, your driving a toyota :wink:

Evelyn wrote:the nuts were seized....

A bit of lube would have helped :lol:

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 pm

I was going to give this a go (painting) but the lens on both of my lights is really bad so there's no point. I'll just have to buy the black ones from Toyota.

I didn't know where the towing hook was on mine either Ev, I actually think it's gone off it. Probably just as well too, if you tried to tow mine the bumper would come off I'd say!

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:02 pm

They were totally seized soaked them over nyt in 10w40 but no go...just needed it the once with my mishap (no lock nut key) in Limerick, ur man in the tow truck couldnt find it I didnt know where it was either, so he had to drive it up....

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:46 pm

Ok so I was looking at the instructions that came with my new lights, they're in Japanese but the pictures aren't :D I see from the pictures that it doesn't show you that the bumper needs to come off to get the lights out, only the wheel arch liner. I'm just wondering is really necessary to take the bumper off or does it just make it a little easier??

d2carazy
Clare rep

Postby d2carazy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:10 pm

thats a good guide, i would never think of taking pictures while working on the car and especially taking pictures at every step, fair play :wink:

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:20 pm

d2carazy wrote:thats a good guide, i would never think of taking pictures while working on the car and especially taking pictures at every step, fair play :wink:

I'd be ashamed to do it, all my tools are manky and "modified" in some cases :roll: . All the ones in those pics are all new and shiny looking

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Sure they do the job don't they :D

d2carazy
Clare rep

Postby d2carazy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:31 pm

at least you have the tools, i have feck all tools, but than again i dont really know enough about cars to go and do things like that :oops: :oops:

dlocko
Altezza Guru

Postby dlocko » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:39 pm

sticky i should think?

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:51 pm

It already is bud

Return to “How-Tos”