Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Service your Altezza (With pictures now)

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Service your Altezza (With pictures now)

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Thought this might help those who would like to service their tezza but aren't quite sure how to go about it. Just before you go on just to say that neither I or Tezzaworld will accept responsibility for any damage you do when (improperly) servicing your own car. These are just the steps I followed when servicing my car. If you're really really clueless you should ask a friend who knows to help or just send it to the garage.

Usual stuff is:

Oil Filter (get one from Toyota it's cheap and it'll work)
5.1L Oil ( I've been told by several mechanics that 10w40 is the best)
Air filter (if you need it)
4 Plugs ( Denso Iridium IK20 # 5304 get them off ebay for half the price)

Tools:

Oil filter tool (or strong hands :D)
Basin for the oil to drain into
Allen Key set to take engine cover off
Spark plug tool
Socket set for sump plug

This is just how I do things so if anyone else has suggestions or better ways of doing it then we can add it in

Procedure:

I think it helps to have the engine a little warm for the oil to come out but not hot as the oil will burn you and if it's very hot chances are that there's still a good bit of oil still up inside the engine.

You might need to take of the plastic cover which covers the bottom of the car to get at your oil filter.

The oil filter is located at the front right hand side of the engine as you look at the front of your car down near the bottom of the engine.

After you loosen off the cover at the bottom of the engine you'll be able to get at the filter a lot easier

Loosen off the filter and make sure you have your basin nearby to let the oil out of the filter.

Take out the sump plug and let the oil the drain into the basin. There's a little washer on the plug, just check that it's not cracked or broken. If it is you'll need a new one.

While the oil is draining I usually change the plugs and you can do the air filter too.

To change the air filter just open the black box and take out the old filter and pop the new one in. If there's any dirt in the air box it's a good idea to hoover this out.

You'll need to take off the engine cover (8 bolts) to get at the plugs. I usually disconnect the battery just to be safe but it's not necessary. I have a strut brace and I had to take that off because I couldn't get one of the coilpacks off with it in the way.

When you have the engine cover off you'll see 4 black boxes in a line down the center of the engine, these are the coilpacks, remove the connectors from each one and take out the bolts (one in each) that hold them down. The coilpacks should now just pull straight up from the engine.

Look into the hole where the coilpack was and you'll see the plug. Put your plug tool down the hole and loosen out the plug. It's not a bad idea to have a rough idea of how many turns it takes to get them out so you'll know when you're putting them back in.

When you're putting the new plugs put them down the hole and turn them anticlockwise a half turn or until you feel them fall into the thread. It's very important to this bit right or you'll cross-thread the plug and damage the threads on the head.

So when you feel the plug sit into the thread start tightening them up. If after a couple of turns they start to feel tight don't force them just take it out and try again because it's cross-threading. When you have them in right and they get tight you only want them hand tight. Don't over tighten them.

Now that you have the plugs and air filter done you stick back your engine cover.

By this time the oil should be well drained from the engine. Put your new oil filter on and stick the sump plug back in. Just wipe off the plug and filter so you'll be able to see if any oil leaking from them. Not a bad idea to put a bit of clean cardboard under the car to make sure you've no leaks.

Now put your new oil back in.

When you have everything back as it was start the engine and leave it idling for a few minutes to let it fill up the oil filter and circulate the new oil.

Check for any leaks and if you've none you've done a great job.

It's a good idea to check the dipstick later on in the day just to make sure you have enough oil in. Top up if needed.

So I hope this will come in handy to anyone who's not really sure about what to do when servicing their car. When you're done you'll feel like you've done something really good because not only have you serviced your own car, you've saved yourself a good few €€€'s in the process.

Ross
Last edited by KaTaLy5t on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Nice one :wink:

but you need to add pics to finish the job, as it makes perfect sense to those of us that know what your talking about but don't need the help, if you know what i mean :)

I've stickied it and will leave it unlocked for you to edit in pics, when you get a chance :wink:

cheers

Noel

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Yeah I never took pics the last time I time serviced it so I'll get some pics up soon.

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm

I also found this pretty helpful..
http://www.ehow.com/video_11_change-motor-oil.html

Its not the tezza, but its the same principle once the bottom cover is off :)
Last edited by Shane M on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moe
Trc Off

Postby Moe » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:04 am

Save yourself some time- Leave the undertray on, and use a piece of stiff cardboard to direct the oilflow from the filter housing... :P

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 am

Moe wrote:Save yourself some time- Leave the undertray on, and use a piece of stiff cardboard to direct the oilflow from the filter housing... :P

Dunno what your under-tray is like, but mine covers the whole underside. You can't get at the filter at all with it on.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 am

Rob wrote:
Moe wrote:Save yourself some time- Leave the undertray on, and use a piece of stiff cardboard to direct the oilflow from the filter housing... :P

Dunno what your under-tray is like, but mine covers the whole underside. You can't get at the filter at all with it on.

I take off the filter without going under the car :wink:

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:53 am

Noel wrote:
Rob wrote:

How exactly do you manage that then ? even when i found out where the filter was, i can barley see it through the engine bay nevermind get my arm or a tool in to release it :?

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:59 am

Noel wrote:I take off the filter without going under the car :wink:

Yeah you get some one else to get under the car for you :lol: :lol:

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:22 am

Shane M wrote:
Noel wrote:
Rob wrote:

How exactly do you manage that then ? even when i found out where the filter was, i can barley see it through the engine bay nevermind get my arm or a tool in to release it :?

there's loads of room .... just be sure the radiator has cooled first :wink:

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:28 am

Must try that te next time I'm changing the filter on it.

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Would you not take out the sump plug b4 you take off the oil filter... thats what i do anyway, you can bend the tray out of the way if its the original one... my mate did it on mine, i wasn't impressed
Kerry Rep

Tezzy
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Tezzy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:02 pm

i just open off 2 of the undertray bolts to get at the oil filter, just wipe off anything that spills onto the tray. it really is a 10 minute job servicing them once you do it a few times!

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Re: Service your Altezza (With pictures now)

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Just so there's no confusion about the oil filter. This is best one to get I've been told:

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Re: Service your Altezza (With pictures now)

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Only changed the oil and filter today so I'll take some more pics when I change the plugs again.

Return to “How-Tos”