Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Replacing the factory Headunit(Err 3 problem)

Section for all helpful how-to's related to Altezzas
Forum rules
This forum is now a closed section, it is purely for reference on how to do work on your Altezza. If you have a query please post in the relative section.
Dan
Site Admin

Replacing the factory Headunit(Err 3 problem)

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:37 pm

If your factory head unit is suffering from the "ERR3" symptom the cheapest way to fix the problem is to replace the factory head unit with a after market one. You can get the original one fixed but will cost you a few hundred Euro.

There is generally 2 different types of audio systems that you could have in your Altezza:
1. System with external amp located behind the glovebox
2. System with amplifier built into the factory headunit

Most Altezza's to the best of my knowledge have the external amp systems. This makes it trickier than usual to add an after market head unit to your car. There is no widely available after market ISO adapter loom for this setup. There is one company in England that has started producing them but at a price.

Click HERE to get one of these adapters.

You will also need a facia plate adapter which you can get from Toyota, part number: 55413-53010. This one is exact match to the finish of the rest of the dash. can can be used with a double or single din. Has a handy small little cubby hole and also has the section that includes the TRC/SNOW buttons incorporated into the facia

If you don't want to spend that much you can get the cheaper Autoleads one HERE. This is cheaper, but the finish doesn't really match the rest of the dash, it does come with a larger cubby hole for storage and you need to re-use the original plastic part you have that contains the TRC/SNOW buttons.

Then obviously a head unit of your choice. With the above adapter you can fit a single or double din unit.

With this setup you can run the after market head unit with the factory speakers. Or you could replace them all and add some subs and amplifiers like i did for better sound

Enjoy 8)
Last edited by Dan on Sun May 04, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Postby xnickx » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:59 pm

This might help with wiring a headunit.
Pin Layout from the a headunit:

NI Hammer
Noob!

help

Postby NI Hammer » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:03 pm

i have the altezza with the on board amp! i ave tryed the links on this page 2 obtain the by-pass kit but have had no joy! i woz just wondering if anyone on the forum cud help with this, or even point me in the direction 2 obtain an amp by-pass kit!

many thanks!

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:46 pm

hmmm seems that ebay have removed the item for some reason, cant find it anywhere on ebay. ill have a look around for ya

NI Hammer
Noob!

Postby NI Hammer » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:23 pm

thanx, any help is greatly appreciated on this! as the factory unit has given up playing cd's and mini disk!

thanx again!! :)

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:20 pm

So Ebay seller; Sounds 4 Wheels was the ebay seller for this lead, maybe drop them an email and ask what the story is about the lead

shakey
Altezza Guru

Postby shakey » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:40 pm

takes awhile to fit in the iso as its vey tight to remove the orignal or as per usual it just properly my luck

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:52 pm

moved your last post to ICE section Steve

Return to “How-Tos”