Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Small front number plate

Anything related to bodykits, wheels lights & other exterior things, post here
mikeb
Trc Off

Small front number plate

Postby mikeb » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:59 am

I need to have new plates made up for the reg transfer onto my Altezza. It has the legana bumper and I was hoping to use a small front plate - motorbike sized letters, as allowed on import vehicles. It will then fit on single row small plate, but I've noticed that this will expose a large piece of plastic in the centre of the bumper. It's right in the middle of the opening and ties the lower lip to the top of the bumper. It's normally covered by a standard size two row plate. Even worse is that the lower part is the same dark grey colour as the front lip, but half way up it changes to the body colour (white in my case).

I think it might look a bit odd with this section exposed, but I thought the front end would look a lot cleaner with a small single row plate. Any ideas, or does everyone else just stick with a two row jap size plate?

wullie_trd
Altezza Guru

Re: Small front number plate

Postby wullie_trd » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:17 pm

I dont think the motobike plates are allowed in the uk anyway ....... Its all to do with the size of the letters not the size of the plate . I may be wrong though. I had small plates on my last import and got fed up being pulled over for them all the time.

I have legana front bumper and just have jap plates and tbh i think it suits the car nicely!

mikeb
Trc Off

Postby mikeb » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:56 pm

wullie_trd wrote:I dont think the motobike plates are allowed in the uk anyway ....... Its all to do with the size of the letters not the size of the plate . I may be wrong though. I had small plates on my last import and got fed up being pulled over for them all the time.

I have legana front bumper and just have jap plates and tbh i think it suits the car nicely!

Imports are allowed to use front plates with bike size letters (64mm I think), as long as they meet the criteria of:

1) No EU type approval for the model of car
2) No space for a full size UK plate

The tez definitely doesn't have EU type approval, and the recess in the legana bumper isn't wide enough for a full width UK plate. My reg is only 5 characters though, so I had a good chance of getting it on one line with the smaller size font. Here's the regs that ratify it: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2687/regulation/5/made

I had plates made up this morning - went for a square 12" x 6" one with import/motorbike size letters over two rows. Just covers the body coloured bit of the bumper nicely. The plate maker took one look at the car and had no quibbles about making it up with the smaller font - it was his idea in fact. There's loads of border on the left and right, I could easily trim it down but the mounting holes are quite wide on the bumper. On the rear I had a single row narrow plate with UK size letters.

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Mate of mine got a tiny plate made up before, think it was actually plastic (not the normal plastic reg but similar), he works in a printers and got it done in there, it just filled the gap in the front of the bumper didn't hang down over the front intake grill at all, looked the business but he was gettin stopped contantly and pretty much threatened by gardai to change it, it wasn't one bit legal! eventually changed it back to the square normal reg plate size cos he was sick of all the attention!

I don't think your allowed put motorbike size reg plates on a car are you?
Kerry Rep

dmcgarry
Altezza Guru

Postby dmcgarry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:47 am

mikeb wrote:Imports are allowed to use front plates with bike size letters (64mm I think), as long as they meet the criteria of:

unless your car is narrower than 20 1/2 inches (the size of a normal plate) then your car has the space to fit it!!! That would be my arguement and i'm pretty sure most judges would agree
never argue with an idiot... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience... :D

http://www.irishkenpo.com
http://www.mmaireland.com

dmcgarry
Altezza Guru

Postby dmcgarry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:53 am

and what it actually states is:

"is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14."

the legana bumper does not preclude the display on the plate of a registration mark.
never argue with an idiot... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience... :D

http://www.irishkenpo.com
http://www.mmaireland.com

mikeb
Trc Off

Postby mikeb » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:58 pm

dmcgarry wrote:
mikeb wrote:Imports are allowed to use front plates with bike size letters (64mm I think), as long as they meet the criteria of:

unless your car is narrower than 20 1/2 inches (the size of a normal plate) then your car has the space to fit it!!! That would be my arguement and i'm pretty sure most judges would agree

If your argument was correct, then there wouldn't be any exemption for import cars would there - as no car is going to be narrower than 20.5". It's intended to help where there isn't a suitable space on the front for a full size plate, and the number plate recess on the legana bumper is certainly narrower than 20.5".

Return to “Visual & Exterior section”