Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

18s or 17s pros cons?

Anything related to bodykits, wheels lights & other exterior things, post here
Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 pm

patk wrote:what have you got ev. did you change from 18 to 17 before? youve had a bit of bad luck too with 18s?

I had bad luck 18" because they were deep dish, but 18" will be more expensive & tyres will be more expensive....
As I am very familiar with the Clare roads I wouldnt go 18"

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:09 pm

There'd be no point in me getting 18s either. There's plenty of pot holes are wexford and ya can't avoid them all :evil:

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:12 pm

That all said its down to the profile of the tyre u put on the car aswell, I am not sure how high can u go on 18"?

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:50 pm

i had 18's on mine for over a year without problom
there is very little difference with a 18 and a 17 once the tyre is on sure they are teh same size reely

theres is200's around here with the 17's under the arches but thats due to the lower'd suspension.

once the 18's are put on its important that you get your suspension setup. or you will wear very quickly
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

patk
Altezza Guru

Postby patk » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:27 pm

cheers for the advice. iv ordered 17s to be on the safe side. the 17s on it are a bit under the arch at the back anyway cause shes low enough.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Ya it looks fairly low in the back so, I would imagine that the drive wouldnt be that comfortable with 18"...it depends on the brand of wheel aswell

markrs200
Limerick Rep

Postby markrs200 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:58 pm

My car is on 18 and is sittin fairly low on coilovers and its still comfortable there isnt much difference between 225/40/18 and 215/45/17 hight wise
02 rs200.full trd kit, 18 inch ultralite gt2,toms spoiler,cusco H braces front and rear,cusco front strut brace,stoptect front discs&pads,full hks exhaust& decat,hks pannel filter,ngk irridiumplugs,hid kit ,toms eye brows,jdm front lights with angel eyes,trd decals on doors,leather interior,apexi rsm,lg dvd,sat nav,trd fioor mats ,fast road clutch +lightened flywheel lowerned 40mm,falcon evo 4+ alarm trd rad +oil cap Cusco front & rear arb's 201.6 bhp+211 torque

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:40 pm

markrs200 wrote:My car is on 18 and is sittin fairly low on coilovers and its still comfortable there isnt much difference between 225/40/18 and 215/45/17 hight wise

Same here, and i live in a boggy area so the roads are constantly changing with new bumps and hollows appearing weekly, i cant get my fingers between my rear arch and tyre (see pic) . Arches are rolled and the only rubbing problems i had is with tyres which had the extra thickness as a lip protector.

Avoid the potholes and slow down for the bumps and its fine. Coilovers help a lot because you can just pull over on really bad roads and adjust them to suit

And like elexes said, suspension set up is extremely important or you will shred tyres!

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:01 am

love those wheels
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:50 am

patk wrote:cheers for the advice. iv ordered 17s to be on the safe side. the 17s on it are a bit under the arch at the back anyway cause shes low enough.

we're disappointed in you man....... :cry:

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:33 am

Trust me I would have loved to have gone for 18" aswell they look way nicer....but I had to weigh up the amount driving I do annually & the by-roads I travel. I commute between Galway & Clare nearly every week & the roads are chronic never seen anything like them, the road ennis road out of gort is so bad ud be tempted to drive on the path…..

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 pm

moomoo wrote:
patk wrote:cheers for the advice. iv ordered 17s to be on the safe side. the 17s on it are a bit under the arch at the back anyway cause shes low enough.

we're disappointed in you man....... :cry:

It's a daily driver not a weekend showboat, 17" ain't that small and with alot of driving i know i'd rather be able to afford good brand rubber for 17" than cheap sugar with 18"....

patk
Altezza Guru

Postby patk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Evelyn wrote:Trust me I would have loved to have gone for 18" aswell they look way nicer....but I had to weigh up the amount driving I do annually & the by-roads I travel. I commute between Galway & Clare nearly every week & the roads are chronic never seen anything like them, the road ennis road out of gort is so bad ud be tempted to drive on the path…..

do you know the shortcut around gort? very handy.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:21 am

patk wrote:
Evelyn wrote:Trust me I would have loved to have gone for 18" aswell they look way nicer....but I had to weigh up the amount driving I do annually & the by-roads I travel. I commute between Galway & Clare nearly every week & the roads are chronic never seen anything like them, the road ennis road out of gort is so bad ud be tempted to drive on the path…..

I am going to Killenana/Feakle so that why I am on that road....

patk
Altezza Guru

Postby patk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Evelyn wrote:
patk wrote:

I am going to Killenana/Feakle so that why I am on that road....

take the right on the bad left turn bend your side of the town.
then next left
then next right (supervalue will be in front of you)
take next left 300m
brings you onto main road again other side of town before feakle turnoff.
its brill during traffic. takes 3mins. :wink:
have a look on google maps or earth.
dont tell anyone.

Return to “Visual & Exterior section”