Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

GUIDE: Smoking Side Repeaters

Anything related to bodykits, wheels lights & other exterior things, post here
Mickymoe
Trc Off

GUIDE: Smoking Side Repeaters

Postby Mickymoe » Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Decided to smoke the side repeaters the other day to match the headlights, and thought i would take a few pictures and make up a guide on how to do it. This is a very simple task and if you have done the headlights or taillights then this will be a breeze! but for all the others, this is a basic guide on how to:

What you will need:

Small Flat head screwdriver
Thin knife similar to Stanley knife
240/1200 Wet & Dry paper
Primer (spray)
Black paint (spray)
Clear Silicone
2x new Amber/chrome 501 bulbs

Step 1:
Ok so begin with pushing the side repeater towards the rear of the car and lightly pulling the side closest to the front end out of the wing

Step 2:
Now you can take the full assembly out. Turn the bulb holder at the rear anti-clockwise to release, and pull it out of the side repeater.

Step 3:
Now with the side repeater out, get your knife (be careful not to cut yourself or damage the repeater) and run it along the inside between the clear lens and the rear plastic housing;

And with a little pull it will come apart:

Step 4:
Now that the lens is removed you will see the orange inner lens - we want to remove this so there is no orangeness in the finished repeater. So with your flat head screw driver, wedge it between the orange lens and the repeater housing closest to the side that tapers to a smaller width and push the orange lens upwards (see picture)

Step 5:
It is now time to sand the housings down, first with 240 and finishing with 1200 grit wet and dry. This only needs done until there is no longer a 'shine' to the plastic

Step 6:
Make sure there is no dirt or dust on the housing and that there is no shiney areas left. When you are happy, it is time to prime it. Around 3 coats is plenty i would say (with 15 minutes between each coat)

Step 7:
While the primer is drying (i left mine overnight) Be sure to clean the clear lens from any dirt and grime, using your knife to get into the recess around the edge:

Step 8:
Once the primer has dried, rub it down lightly once more with 1200 grit in preperation for painting. I used matt black for mine (same as headlights) but you can use gloss/satin or any colour here! Evenly spraying, and leaving 15 minutes between each coat, it is now time to paint the repeaters.

Again leave the paint overnight to dry!

Step 9:
Using your clear silicone, put a light, even amount amount the recess of the clear lens. Try not to use too much or get any around the inside of the lens.

Step 10:
Now put the lens and the housing back together. If any silicone overspills inside or outside the lens, take it apart again, wipe away the excess and put back together once more. Now tape or cable tie the lens and the housing together and leave to dry for few hours.

Step 11:
Get yourself some new Amber 501 bulbs or the chrome 501 bulbs and change them in place of the old bulbs.

Step 12:
Put the bulb holder and side repeater back together and put side repeater back into wing (This is simply the opposite of removal)

And the finished result:

This is simply a guide on how i smoked my side repeaters and i take no responsibility if yourself or any other person damages their car or side repeaters.

beamsteza
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: GUIDE: Smoking Side Repeaters

Postby beamsteza » Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Very useful guide nice work lad.

murphman07
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby murphman07 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Very well explained man!, nice touch to the car aswel
All factory extra's Garda, I swear!

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Anything to try and give back to the site that has helped me so much 8)

neilis200
Trc Off

Postby neilis200 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:32 am

something to do for the weekend
If the cross is empty. proceed with caution

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 am

I put a guide up how to do this ages ago but no one wanted to know :roll: so gave up :lol:

neilis200
Trc Off

Postby neilis200 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:24 am

Done it this evening, handy enough do
If the cross is empty. proceed with caution

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Mon May 20, 2013 1:12 am

Yeah its wee buns....

Return to “Visual & Exterior section”