Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Wheels

Anything related to bodykits, wheels lights & other exterior things, post here
roberte
Trc Off

Wheels

Postby roberte » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:04 pm

All four original alloys on the car are corroded and I was mulling over what to do with them. I was thinking about getting them re-finished (if possible) as I'm happy with the way they look, but I think I read somewhere here before that re-finishing them will loose the polished parts, i.e. they are completely re-sprayed or whatever? Anyone any idea what it might cost? Can anyone recommend a place in Dublin that will do this?
If reparing them might cost too much, anyone have any recommendations on a place to get new ones? Would ordering from the UK be better value?

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi Robert i got one of mine refurbed in a place in Bray

Alloy Wheel repair. ... Alloy Wheels Repaired Unit D Solus Tower Ind Est Bray Co. Wicklow (01)2827001 (087)2437288

However it wasn't perfect and the polished lip on the front of the spokes was dulled. not sure of anywhere else that can re-furb them properly. Full re-furb and re-spray in whatever color you want from this place is about 370 Euro

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:35 am

Booked it in there tomorrow, €400 for the set. Thanks for that.

I also need to replace a pair of tyres soon. I see the Goodyear Eagle F1s are well recommended here. Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a good deal on these?

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Dave McCann tyres in Clonsilla industrial estate thats were i got mine, maybe stick up some before and after pictures so we can check out how they turn out

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Dan wrote:Dave McCann tyres in Clonsilla industrial estate thats were i got mine, maybe stick up some before and after pictures so we can check out how they turn out

Here are the "before" shots:

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Here's the after:

They aren't 100% the same, the mirrored bit on the front of the spokes is painted over, but this was expected. There were a few pits and scrapes which they've removed. All in all I'm quite happy with the result.

I was told that they get tons of Lexus ones in, the quality of the paint is terrible. He showed me several sets of Lexus ones he had in, all with the same problem. I was also told to stay away from so-called alloy cleaners, they are often acidic which only eats into the paint on them, hastening the deterioration.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:32 pm

look good alright but its a pity you lost the polished bit on the front of the spokes. So how much did it cost you in total?

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Dan wrote:look good alright but its a pity you lost the polished bit on the front of the spokes. So how much did it cost you in total?

€400 to get all four done.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:22 pm

was also told to stay away from so-called alloy cleaners, they are often acidic which only eats into the paint

Yes stay away from any form of alloy wheel cleaner we use a non-acidic one at work and it just a bad. The guy that valet our car wash my old car one day I came out and noticed small blistering bubbles on the alloys I was fuming. Can you imagine what it would do to paint work? He also f**k up a set off alloys on a Omega resulting on us replacing the set for a customer. The smell of the stuff is enough.......

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:26 pm

so which one is a non-acidic? Any particular brands?

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Dan wrote:so which one is a non-acidic? Any particular brands?

I was told to stay away from all of them. Simply use soapy water.

R.

elexes
Altezza Guru

Postby elexes » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:34 pm

simple rule dont use anything on your wheels you wouldnt use on your paint
if ive helped you in anyway vote for carlow to be the first tezzaworld drinking session

lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby lex looter » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:36 pm

i used to put son of a gun on the tyres of the car and noticed that it would collect more dust to the wheels and the paint after a while would start to blister and peel,the brother used to work for linders toyota and he used to bring stuff home that they d use on their wheels,great stuff but again did the same thing after a while,i dont use anything anymore ,just give the tyres and wheels a good clean.
you spin me right round baby,right round,like a record,right round,round round

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:03 pm

so which one is a non-acidic? Any particular brands?

Stay clear from all of them like Roberte said soapy water, good brush & elbow grease thats all you need......If you have some tar on them spray a little petrol on them let it soak for about 20mins/30mins wash off.

-luke-
Noob!

Postby -luke- » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:09 am

i used to do car valeting and we used to polish the wheels wit car polish 4 a great finish plus the wheels will clean easyer the next time around :)

Return to “Visual & Exterior section”