Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Aftermarket alarm driving the central locking

For all your audio/visual & general interior needs, post here
mikeb
Trc Off

Aftermarket alarm driving the central locking

Postby mikeb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 am

Phoned Toad today to organise getting a Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser fitted. The technician phoned to book me in and said that they can't wire the alarm into the central locking - I'll have to use the standard toyota key remote to unlock, and the Toad remote to arm/disarm the alarm only.

From what I've read online, that sounds like a load of tosh. Sounds like the altezza central locking is different to the IS200, and it is fairly intelligent and linked to the main ECU in some way, which maked things more difficult apparently. Either they just don't have the tech info on the Altezza to do it, or they don't want to run wires all the way to the OE central locking controller (in the boot?).

Then someone on another forum apparently gives instructions on how to do it by wiring into the driver's door motor: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=13761. Makes perfect sense to me - and would mimic almost exactly what happens when you use the key in the drivers door rather than the remote.

Can anyone confirm if the fitter is telling me porkies, doesn't know what he's doing, or is just too lazy to do a proper job? :?

raffo
Altezza Guru

Re: Aftermarket alarm driving the central locking

Postby raffo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:19 am

plenty on here have alarms fitted so will tell you definitely but for me i got a quote for a clifford alarm and immob to be fitted and when he heard it was a tez he said they are more work but once you know what your doing it's grand, so not a problem. To me it sounds like your fitter is unsure is all

Lightning
Trc Off

Postby Lightning » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 am

I have an aftermarket alarm and it allows me to do everything without use of the key. I can arm and lock at the same time, or unlock and disarm sumaltaneously, open the trunk and remotely start the car all from my alarm remote. I still have the option of locking/unlocking the car with the Altezza key, but I don't use it since I can do everything form the alarm remote. The guy who installed the alarm did have a bit of difficulty doing so because it took him over 3 hours when he anticipated only 1 hour; so I assume that the tezzas are a bit more complex than the average car.

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 am

I have a Clifford Intelliguard 950 (fitted by the previous owner). It definitely controls the central locking from the remote fob.
I can't open the boot from the fob though (that would be very handy!) and the other annoying thing is that the door unlock button on the drivers door doesn't work.
1999 RS200Z Blue. Kakimoto Exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, TODA Racing Flywheel, Tein Coilovers, Advans RG Alloys, TRD shortshift, Räzo knob, Nardi Classic Steering Wheel, Recaro seat, Walboro GSS342, Power Enterprise air filter.
Coming soon: Rotrex C30-64 Supercharger, Caldina GT-T Injectors, Power FC

J3NKO
Trc Off

Postby J3NKO » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:11 pm

I have a toad alarm and it can all be done from the toad keyfob.

Sounds to me like you need a decent auto electrician more than anything else.

I can highly recommend an ebay seller called safe-n-sound-1:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/safe-n-sound-1&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

The guy who runs it is called barry and knows his sh!t. Said it was a pain but he got it working an absolute treat.

HTH
J3NKO

mikeb
Trc Off

Postby mikeb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Well I'm paying top dollar (through Toad) to have it installed - £340 (their standard price was £400, but managed to get them down to £340, still seems expensive to me though). So they'd better get it all working properly for that money!

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:27 am

mikeb wrote:Can anyone confirm if the fitter is telling me porkies, doesn't know what he's doing, or is just too lazy to do a proper job? :?
All of the above. Toyota are one one easiest vehicles to hook aftermarket alarms upto the factory central locking system. I'd get someone else to do the job.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 am

If I can wire an alarm up to use the remote central locking I'm sure you got someone who knows very little about car's then, try some off ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=T ... m270.l1313
as they come to your house or workplace, was going to get one at some point when I've finnished sorting other things out 8)

Return to “I.C.E & Interior section”