Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

6x9 Recommendations

For all your audio/visual & general interior needs, post here
roberte
Trc Off

6x9 Recommendations

Postby roberte » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi,
I will be in the market for getting some 6x9's for the rear. I'm hoping to re-use the JBL P62s I have for the front, but I'll need to get new ones for the back.
So, anyone have any recommendations, 70w RMS/180w Peak and up? Anything I should avoid, particularly fit-wise?

R.

markrs200
Limerick Rep

Postby markrs200 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:02 pm

audiobhann they are pricey but there one of the best .You will need an amp to get full use ouy of them .They fit perfect into the original holes
02 rs200.full trd kit, 18 inch ultralite gt2,toms spoiler,cusco H braces front and rear,cusco front strut brace,stoptect front discs&pads,full hks exhaust& decat,hks pannel filter,ngk irridiumplugs,hid kit ,toms eye brows,jdm front lights with angel eyes,trd decals on doors,leather interior,apexi rsm,lg dvd,sat nav,trd fioor mats ,fast road clutch +lightened flywheel lowerned 40mm,falcon evo 4+ alarm trd rad +oil cap Cusco front & rear arb's 201.6 bhp+211 torque

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Infinity or Diamond Audio diamond audio are very good. I have Pioneers in mine and they sound great. only 150 Euro. As Mark said to get the most out of any speakers, amplify them with a decent 4 channel amp. Any 6*9's will fit in the rear however some may require mounting brackets, the rear problem area is the boot release system in the boot hitting of your new speakers if they are too deep

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:09 pm

Just spotted these: JBL T595's going for a knockdown price. I wonder would risers accommodate the 118mm mounting depth?
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... d/520.html

Amp is not a problem, already have 2kws worth ready to go. :)

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:19 am

they look very deep, you will have to get rid of the speaker covers to as u will have to mount them under the factory grilles , you might have at most 40mm you can use in your mounting bracket , ill measure mine in the morning and see how deep they are

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Well, I tore the car apart to investigate further. It's not an easy job getting the seat back off! I saw that the boot lid bars are to one side of the hole, not as bad as I originally thought. I've decided to go for it and ordered the T595s. I've also ordered a set of 40mm spacers, so hopefully it will all fit. Fingers crossed!

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:55 pm

you have a linky to these spacers? Didnt know there was any ready available!

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:33 pm

Dan wrote:you have a linky to these spacers? Didnt know there was any ready available!

They aren't Altezza/IS200 specific ones. The previous owner had thin plywood ones on which he mounted his 6x9s. I just got these standard spacers which would raise them higher:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0174895105

R.

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:41 am

The JBL T595's I ordered arrived today. I ordered two, assuming that they were priced the same as round speakers, i.e. singly. But they actually come in pairs, so now I have four! oops!

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:06 am

all speakers are priced as a pair except for subwoofers :oops: Stick them in the for sale section im sure someone will take them off ya

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Dan wrote:all speakers are priced as a pair except for subwoofers :oops: Stick them in the for sale section im sure someone will take them off ya

I had to buy the 6.5" ones singly last time. The exact opposite happened, I bought two and needed four! :o

Anyway, I got a sinking feeling once I got the seats out and parcel shelf off and realised the T595's are huge compared to what was there before. I thought at first they wouldn't even get between the glass and the metal shelf, but they did with a bit of careful maneuvering. I didn't need spacers, in fact I just used the 5mm ply cutouts that the last owner had put in, any thicker and it definitely wouldn't fit. It was a massive squeeze to get the parcel shelf back on again over them. I was afraid the fibre board or whatever it's made out of would split. Luckily it didn't, and now the shelf is a centimetre or two higher than it was before. :shock:
The springs for the boot lid do touch off the speaker basket when open, but it's a massive solid steel casting and feel like they could support the weight of the car, never mind some rubbing from a spring. I was kind of hoping they would lessen the springs power, 'cos the composite boot lid flies up as it's so light, but it didn't make any difference.
Anyway, I've proven they do fit, and by god they're loud! I'm sorry I forgot to take a pic of them before I put it all back together again. I'll stick them up with all the other bits and bobs when I get it all complete.
Alas I'm not quite done yet - I had my old tweeters glued on to the stock brackets for the front door and installed when I found one of them had been burned out long before, it even melted the metal cone! :oops: So I have to tear it out again. :(

R.

Return to “I.C.E & Interior section”