Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

ICE-Capable battery

For all your audio/visual & general interior needs, post here
roberte
Trc Off

ICE-Capable battery

Postby roberte » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:04 pm

I'm considering replacing the weedy jap import-sized battery with something a bit more ICE-friendly. Can you recommend any (cheap!) Dublin suppliers for Yellow Top/Stinger batteries, or indeed an online store with shipping that doesn't cost the earth?
Anyone replace the narrow battery terminals with standard wide ones? I'm concerned about un-crimping the connectors on it only to find the leads are then too short to reach a grub-screw type battery clamp.
Also, is it easy enough to find a suitable bracket to hold a bigger battery in?

Robert.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:22 pm

Optima yellow top aren't cheap and would cost about 240 at the cheapest. Im running 2 amps, about 2000w in total off my standard battery, runs things no problem. Unless i turn the engine off, and crank it up, battery is dead after 10 minutes!

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:43 pm

The standard battery in my 1.6 is bigger than the one in the Altezza. Even the guy in the motor parts place couldn't believe such a weeny battery cranked a 2L engine. I replaced it with the same type anyway as I needed one in a hurry. I might just swap the one I have from my old car with the one that's in the Altezza, before I get rid of it. The battery bay seems to have plenty of room for one anyway. I'd have to remove and re-crimp the terminals though.

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:53 am

Mine had the tiny battery too.... :(

so i put in a 60ah Lexus IS200 battery from the local motor factors...

battery terminals didn't have to be changed as it turned out there was reducer pieces in them that just popped out.... maybe yours is the same?

endapender
Altezza Guru

Postby endapender » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:37 am

you could always try to move the battery to the booth so there is no worries about fitting a big battery. Just an option

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:06 am

Ah no, I won't need to move the location, it's the battery terminal size I'm talking about. The jap import batteries have narrow terminals. I found out the hard way when I went to a brake/tyre/battery place to get it changed. They didn't stock them, but recommended going to Southside Automotive for it instead.
That's why if I was going to get a bigger batter, I'd probably have to change the terminals too, as well as the bracket.

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:07 pm

Stay away from Southside Automotive!(cough... Gangsters!) Take a picture of your battery and we can see if its smaller than standard. What ICE do you plan on sticking in you car?

Mr Singh
Trc Off

Postby Mr Singh » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:53 pm

Stinger PC2150
Or
Northstar NSB90

Optima's aren't no.1 choice amongst us Audio Pros
JDM Altezza RS200 3S-GE Blitz Supercharged 6 Speed MT

roberte
Trc Off

Postby roberte » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:02 pm

2k in total, Rockford Fosgate 500.2 for the sub and a 250w Pioneer 4 way for everything else.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 pm

running approx same power of my standard battery! no probs

@Mr Singh, any online links or prices to where we can get those batteries?

Return to “I.C.E & Interior section”