Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

How I spent my weekend

For all your audio/visual & general interior needs, post here
Rob
Altezza Guru

How I spent my weekend

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:40 pm

I decided to do a bit of soundproofing, so with a 9 sheet box of Dynamat Extreme and a weekend where it didn't rain (mostly) this is what I got up to:

The car stripped down:

1st sheet done, 8 more to go:

All sheets down:

The power cabling down the left side (before tacking it up):

...and audio down the right:

1/2 way back to normal - carpet back in place:

There's no point showing you a pic of the finished product as you wouldn't know there was anything done at all!

It's made a fair bit of difference, but when the budget allows I'll tackle the boot space and possibly the headlining I recon.

R.

anto
Dublin Rep

Postby anto » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:48 pm

looks like it was alot of work

good job rob

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Funny enough it wasn't the toughest job I've tackled. The rear speakers were a bigger pain to put in - taking off the rear seat back and putting it back on was far worse than anything in those pics. It looks more impressive though as it looks like you've taken the car to bits. ;)

R.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Oh sweet God...I wouldnt have the patience for that job fair play Rob,can you imagine if you had lost anything out of your pocket & realised when everthing was back together....

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:35 pm

Evelyn wrote:Oh sweet God...I wouldnt have the patience for that job fair play Rob,can you imagine if you had lost anything out of your pocket & realised when everthing was back together....

I actually did forget one foam piece 'cos it wasn't mentioned in the workshop manual, which I was using as a checklist. Luckily I managed to slide it back into place without having to take the carpet back out again!

I also found the remains of some mad-looking Jap bugs under the carpet, looked like an inch-long ant.. :shock:

R.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 pm

fair play Rob must have taken you hours, all thats left is the doors, roof and boot space. There is cheaper stuff you can get than Dynomat and it does the same job, lad on LOC has his whole is200 sound proofed! ill try find the name of it. I started a similar job on mine but on did the rear before i got pissed of and didn't bother finishing it

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 pm

I also found the remains of some mad-looking Jap bugs under the carpet, looked like an inch-long ant..

Uuuhhh no dont think I want to know whats under my carpet, it can stay there!!!!!!

d2carazy
Clare rep

Postby d2carazy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:32 pm

fair play the looks like alot of work, was it worth doing, would u do it again and is it expensive

Flex
Altezza Guru

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Rob my friend, full respect to you, that’s a lot of work and time. Once you love your car there would be some fun in it. I hope you did not have any spare parts when you were finish.......lol :lol:
(HSI) Handle Speed Intelligently

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Not mega expensive, got the 9 sheet pack for approx €200 delivered. But not exactly cheap either. It makes the most difference when when you are travelling at motorway speeds. For complete coverage though I'd have to do the boot floor at least. I would say it's only worth your while if you are putting a high-end audio system. I put it in 'cos after all the trouble of putting in my audio system, the engine/road noise meant I had to turn it up to quite frankly, dangerous levels to hear it clearly.
I was pricing a few cheaper alternatives, like "Brown Bread" etc. I decided to go with Dynamat as it wasn't much more expensive for that amount, plus it didn't take heat to apply it.

If I was doing it again though, here's what I'd do differently:
Take out the scuff plates and centre pillar covers before the seats, despite what the manual says - they are soft and easily scratched by the seat brackets.
Buy the Dynamat roller to apply it, I thought I'd get away with a wallpaper seam roller, but it broke in notime.
For the love of god get yourself a pair of thick work gloves, that aluminium layer is as sharp as a torn coke can when cut. My hands are in ribbons after it!

aln
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby aln » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:11 pm

:shock: f*** hell mate... some work done there! Let us have a go in the car now dude! :D
I want to go fast...

eric25
Altezza Guru

Postby eric25 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 pm

well done lad plenty of hard work and time went into that

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Well done Rob, some amount of work and patience went into that I'd say. i wouldn't have the head strip the car down, I'd end up getting pissed off and using a beer crate for a drivers seat for a week till I put the car back together :lol: :lol:

Lil H
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Lil H » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:18 pm

how big are the sheets??

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:31 pm

Lil H wrote:how big are the sheets??

Dynamat Bulk Pak

Part Number: # 10455

Contents: (9) 18"x 32" (457mm x 812mm) pieces of Dynamat Xtreme

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automot ... treme.html