Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Steering wheel cleanup

For all your audio/visual & general interior needs, post here
Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Steering wheel cleanup

Postby Mr. Tezza » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Hey folks,

Does anybody out there have any advice of tips on how to clean up the leather on the steering wheel or will I have to get it cleaned and re-upholstered?

Lately its looking kinda tired and the parts to the side that are supposed to be gold/silver in colour are kinda black looking, I can throw up a pic later if thats any help, I tried using some basic leather cleaners but no good.

Ideas?
Kerry Rep

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Re: Steering wheel cleanup

Postby jarocki » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 pm

ha i would be interested in an answer to this also

wullie_trd
Altezza Guru

Postby wullie_trd » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Me too! Side bits have started to loose colour!

DBX
Trc Off

Postby DBX » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:45 pm

That silverish colour bit on steering wheel already come off so no cleaner would bring it back. it can only remove it completely, mean while i remember seeing a interior spray that can be applied to soft and hard plastics and leatherish mateiral not sure if it last for something always touched like steering wheel.
Last edited by DBX on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Protok » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Have heard of vinyl spray working on leather but no idea how long it lasts.

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 am

DBX wrote:That silverish colour bit on steering wheel already come off so no cleaner would bring it back. it can only remove it completely, mean while i remember seeing a interior spray that can be applied to soft and hard plastics and leatherish mateiral not sure if it last for something always touched like steering wheel.

So ya reckon the silverish thing is gone altogether, I don't think I'm rubbing it off cos its not like I have sparkles on my hands after going for a spin so I just thought it was gettin covered over somehow?
Kerry Rep

delboydub
Trc On!

Postby delboydub » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:57 pm

my steering wheel is all black its supposed to be like that but its worn all over and shiney ide love to get it back to like new or get a new one but very hard to get even a lexus one and if you find one ppl are looking for crazy money for them

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:53 pm

delboydub wrote:my steering wheel is all black its supposed to be like that but its worn all over and shiney ide love to get it back to like new or get a new one but very hard to get even a lexus one and if you find one ppl are looking for crazy money for them

Cud ya get ur one re-upholstered or wud it be too much trouble trying to find the leather silvery colour and stuff? No idea how much a job like that wud cost myself actually, mite be worth checking out...
Kerry Rep

Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Protok » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 am

Mr. Tezza wrote:
delboydub wrote:my steering wheel is all black its supposed to be like that but its worn all over and shiney ide love to get it back to like new or get a new one but very hard to get even a lexus one and if you find one ppl are looking for crazy money for them

Cud ya get ur one re-upholstered or wud it be too much trouble trying to find the leather silvery colour and stuff? No idea how much a job like that wud cost myself actually, mite be worth checking out...

Had one done before, it was £85.

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Did ya have to get the steering wheel taken off and hand it in to get done or how did it work? were you able to get the silver colour back on the wheel or is it now all black? Sorry for all the questions its just something thats bugging me lately everytime I sit into the car seeing the steering wheel looking worn!
Kerry Rep

Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Protok » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:45 pm

I had mine done on an MR2 wheel, very similar if not the same actually.
But the colour was black, I am sure that silver leather can be purchased though it would probably be a little bit extra.

delboydub
Trc On!

Postby delboydub » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:25 pm

my steering wheel is all black because my car is all black on the inside it doesnt have the silver gold on the dash or the wheel

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Cool thanks for the help guys, with my car being silver and the dash/surround having silver/gold parts its just a nice touch I'd like to try and put back in the car if I'm holding on to it for another year...

Thanks!
Kerry Rep

Return to “I.C.E & Interior section”