Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Steering wheel boss

For all your audio/visual & general interior needs, post here
hursty
Trc Off

Steering wheel boss

Postby hursty » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi just a quick one which steering bosses fit the altezza ? I would asume most toyota ones are the same i.e a supra one should fit right ?

Cheers

Ben.

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Re: Steering wheel boss

Postby peter0991 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Guys, i have done the searching on this forum and a few others and i dont think this has been answered yet. Maybe i just did a crap search though :lol: Anyone who has changed to a dishy wheel care to shed some light on this?

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:18 pm

i know one meant for an mr2 fits. i just dont know what model mr2 it was :lol:

GordonRS200
Trc Off

Postby GordonRS200 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:31 pm

twiglett-RS200 wrote:i know one meant for an mr2 fits. i just dont know what model mr2 it was :lol:

If that's the case I would have though Mk2 since that was around at the time of the Altezza.

I've fitted a new wheel to mine but as above, internet searching for an RS/AS/IS200 specific one was fruitless. I was fortunate that someone on here spotted my thread and had one going spare.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am

What about the airbag's though, won't it fail mot/nct?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-D1-D-SH ... 2a22d97bfb

GordonRS200
Trc Off

Postby GordonRS200 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:42 pm

mike_01 wrote:What about the airbag's though, won't it fail mot/nct?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-D1-D-SH ... 2a22d97bfb

I checked this with my local test station when I was last there as I was curious as to the new MOT regs. Under the current regs, the airbag warning light being ON is now a fail (it used to be an advisory). This is easily solved by using an airbag bridge (come with most good bosses) which fools the ECU into thinking the airbag is still plugged in. Provided your light is not on, you will not fail for having no airbag. My Saxo passed it's MOT fine with a solid steel plate accross the center hole of my aftermarket wheel.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Where are you ireland or gb?
So having a car without an airbag aslong as light is off is fine,
The only thing that would concern is in the event of an accident the car has been designed with an airbag so safety might play a factor, especially now a day's, may not be able to claim for whip lash etc..
Another is what about insurance? may void the insurance when they asses the car as 1 either not been declared or 2 breaching car's safety

GordonRS200
Trc Off

Postby GordonRS200 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm in the UK, but I'm pretty sure the ruling is the same in ROI. If in doubt, check with your local test station.

Yes, for the moment, and untill/unless the EU enforces their proposed tightened regulations on modifying, it's fine to run no airbag provided the warning light is off.

As for insurance, it MUST be declared. If you've disconnected it and haven't told them, don't expect any payout for injury should the worst happen. Some insurers will not cover you if you confess to removing your airbag (for the very reasons you've highlighted) but many will. I rang my insurers before I did the mod to check and they didn't care as long as I told them when I did it (didn't even effect my premium!). I strongly suggest you check your current/future insurer before you buy.

As for the added risk of injury, that's your call :wink:

Return to “I.C.E & Interior section”